Got My 3.73's In Today

p-351

Reaction score
Drove mine (the wife's) tonight---no whine whatsoever :banana: B/L is at .012-.013 and pinion bearing preload is 14 in/lb. I had to mess with the shims quite a bit--but with my slipper bearing for the pinion and Yukon Super Shims for the carrier it wasn't bad at all, just had to come apart a few times.

As far as the crush sleeve goes--get yourself a GOOD impact and a long pry bar (I put one of my driveshaft bolts in and put the pry bar so it was being pushed onto the garage floor when I was whaling away at the pinion). Just take it little by little and check you preload often.

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
i am trying to set my backlash and there is no way that i can add/subtract shims without and shims i have to pound it in as is please lend me some help getting so frustrated

p-351

Reaction score
Did you take a look at the links to the Randy's Ring and Pinion site? The one that goes to the Yukon install instructions talks about setting backlash---you need your carrier shims tight for the bearing preload. The carrier shouldn't come out all that easy from the housing.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Take it to a professional who knows how to install gears.

p-351

Reaction score
He already did (at least they protrayed themselves as such) and now has a whine. Gear installs aren't the easiet thing in the world and performing it yourseelf shouldn't be taken lightly, but he is taking the intiative to learn how to do this and try to do it himself--give him some time to learn before you tell him to give up and take it to someone else.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I'm all about doing the work yourself, trust me. However, even I farm out gear installs to a friend of mine who I know is REALLY good at them.

I definitely give him credit for trying. Personally, I'd be raising all kinds of hell at the place that screwed them up.

p-351

Reaction score
Paul said:
I definitely give him credit for trying. Personally, I'd be raising all kinds of hell at the place that screwed them up.

I definetely agree with you on that point!

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
well you probly won't believe it but after 2 days i did get it done and i don't caim it to be the best job in the world but there is no whine and no "clink" in the rear so i must have gotten it very close and boy do i love them but not sure how i'm going to like the highway driving but as far as the seat of the pants feel very impressive almost like a totally different car, just what i was expecting.....

p-351

Reaction score
Cool, glad to hear that you were able to get it----it's a good feeling being able to do gears yourself isn't it :dancing6: Now, are you going to go back to the shop and try to recoup some of your money??

OP
OP
T

TripleBlack

Reaction score
no prolly won't go bitch anymore to them they are thinking of giveing me a pass to a dragstrip but might sharge them to do their gears now...haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online