Got some Manley MMR Rods. Have question.

vnmsgt

Reaction score
I have these rods sitting here I got. They are MMR rods made by Manley and are the 4340 Forged H-beam rods rated up to 900hp. 4 of them are blued but a friend that had them before said he had them checked at a shop and made sure all the center lines were still perfect and they are. You can see what looks like fresh hone marks on the big end of the rods so you can see they were checked and all cleaned up. Question I have is that I have heard people reuse these rods and be fine. Maybe not up to 900hp but for a smaller build. I dont have plans on using these because my 32v I am using for my fox conversion is going to be a stock motor so I was interested in selling them but want to be honest about selling them to whoever buys them. I have been a motorcycle tech for over 10 years and we never reused rods that were blued due to the fact of spinning 15-16k rpms plus never saw one that was blued and never spun a rod.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Try taking some scotch bright or emory cloth to the darkened area just to see how deep the blue is.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
How much was taken off with the hone? That's important info....don't expect much money for them you can get them for like 370-400 new

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
I took them to work this morning and on the wire wheel alot of the blue would come off. It was still dark but it was coming off.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
Im not sure how much was taken off with the hone. Was done from someone I knew that moved away and I dont have any info.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use them. If you're looking for a budget rod I would look into the boss 302 roadrunner rod, an entire set with bolts can be had for under $200. they are good for ~650 RWHP that's plenty for anything on the street.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
The rods had 75 miles on them when pulled from the motor.If im not mistaken they are not fresh hone marks, they are the original hone marks. Crank had oil journal blockage and starved the 4 center rods for oil.Engine was assembled with alot of assembly lube and thats pretty much all the lube it had for the 75 miles.
The bearings took the blunt of the oil starvation and the rods were blued but when checked out by me and my father with a few different sets of gauges they looked to still be usable, And had planned to keep them for my next project but when I moved out of state I sold them.Considering I don't know when I wpuld ever use them.

They take a standard size bearing, and wrist pin.I would install them and plastic gauge the rods and check all tollerance's and if it all checks out good.Roll with it, thats what no was gona do. But then again im known for doing shit others wouldn't....

-330CubeGt

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
The rods had 75 miles on them when pulled from the motor.If im not mistaken they are not fresh hone marks, they are the original hone marks. Crank had oil journal blockage and starved the 4 center rods for oil.Engine was assembled with alot of assembly lube and thats pretty much all the lube it had for the 75 miles.
The bearings took the blunt of the oil starvation and the rods were blued but when checked out by me and my father with a few different sets of gauges they looked to still be usable, And had planned to keep them for my next project but when I moved out of state I sold them.Considering I don't know when I wpuld ever use them.

They take a standard size bearing, and wrist pin.I would install them and plastic gauge the rods and check all tollerance's and if it all checks out good.Roll with it, thats what no was gona do. But then again im known for doing shit others wouldn't....

-330CubeGt

Thanks for the info! I didnt know you were on here. I got them and was thinking of using them but Im not building anything but a couple stock 32v's so wasnt really going to use em and just try and sell em. I do alot of other things to that some will not and most of the time always works out lol.

OP
OP
V

vnmsgt

Reaction score
I thought they may have had fresh marks because on the rods that are not blued, they look like they were just done. The blued ones you can see the marks too but its harder because they are really dark.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Boss rods are being taken up past 800hp just fine even though they are the "sinter forged" (just really beefy powdered metal) rods. You can get them with bolts and already cracked for $160 from Tousley Ford. On a budget, with a modular, this is probably the way to go IMO. Stock block, Boss rods, stock forged crank from your 32v (if it came out of a Cobra/Mach) and a set of $500 Manley forged pistons and you are good till that 700-800hp mark which is way more than a street car should ever need. Not like the 4V heads/intake can't support it in stock form, just need to have the heads gone through and freshened up and toss 24 psi at it. Motor will take it, the rest of the car might not lol.

copmagnet

Reaction score
I would not use those rods. Rods are heat treated, and when they are reheated up like that it ruins the integrity of the rod. Not worth it in my opinion to risk a motor over questionable rods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.