Got some track action last friday!

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
I finally got a few troublesome issues solved, and went to my local dragstrip (heartland park topeka) on friday.

Normal height/wheels:

Track height/wheels (Those awesome v6 wheels huh..? oh yeah. ha):

Engine picture (just cuz):

Timeslips (run #2 I slipped off the clutch pedal on the 3-4 shift):

As you may be able to tell, I was still having surprising traction issues coming off the line. a 28" tall Drag Radial only getting a best of 1.92 60' is pretty sad.. Clearly I have plenty of top end, since I can still get to 123 mph by the end of the track, and judging by my buddies car against me in #3 and #4 I believe, my mph should be an 11.3-11.4 ET...

A few issues/fixes I want to address that I believe will help:
1) Lowering the rear a little bit more, and trying to get the car as close to 'level' ride height as possible for better weight transfer
2) Front brakes did not seem to want to hold the car during burnout with line lock or standard burnout 'method' -> check for air in brake lines.
3) Possibly looking into a set of adjustable upper control arms to properly set the pinion angle.. This made a huge difference on my buddies Mach 1 (The car I raced in #3 and #4)

Any more suggestions/comments feel free to post up!

RichV

Reaction score
My local NASA region was just there that weekend.

I was unfortunately not with them. I love that track! Has everything you'd ever want, in one facility! Definitely some good MPH.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
My local NASA region was just there that weekend.

I was unfortunately not with them. I love that track! Has everything you'd ever want, in one facility! Definitely some good MPH.

Yeah there were a ton of NASA cars in the pits, some awesome cars for sure. I've only done the road course once with a formula ford event/track day, which was an absolute blast.

kb1982

Reaction score
What does your rear suspension consist of? When I get mine sorted out for the strip, I plan on cranking the front coilovers on mine up to even out the ride hieght. Im running the 275/50 R15 street radials on mine, and on the street it doesnt quit spinning until the 3-4 shift. Im thinking the best bet for drag radials would be the MT x275/60 radial pro, but they are only made for 15 inch rims so far.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
What does your rear suspension consist of? When I get mine sorted out for the strip, I plan on cranking the front coilovers on mine up to even out the ride hieght. Im running the 275/50 R15 street radials on mine, and on the street it doesnt quit spinning until the 3-4 shift. Im thinking the best bet for drag radials would be the MT x275/60 radial pro, but they are only made for 15 inch rims so far.

Rear suspension is: MM lower Control arms (with adjustable spring perch), new take-off upper control arms off a '04 GT that I welded a plate on for strength, Koni yellow SA shocks, and 'mystery' lowering springs. Also full length subframe connectors for reference.
On the street, even with my 315/30/18 M/T ET street II's, my car will still spin mostly through 3rd gear, but at the track with my 275/60/15 M/T drag radials my car would hook at some time in first gear.
I think first I'm going to address the level ride height issue for next time, and if that still doesn't net some decent 60 ' times, then move onto adjustable upper control arms, and possibly different rear springs for the track.

kb1982

Reaction score
Did you try softening up the rear shocks. It may allow the rear to squat a little more to help transfer some weight. I have the Eibach drag springs in mine at the rear on J&M weight jackers and use the shocks set tight to keep the rear from being bouncy on the the street. Our cars seem to have a similar list of parts.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
^ No, I didn't try that. I had the front struts set at the softest setting, and the rear shocks set at the firmest setting. I will have to try playing with the shock settings and see what helps.. Although one of my shock adjusters seems to be getting stuck more and more frequently, so I may have to look into getting it rebuilt or replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010