got the kit what else do I need?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so I got a vortech V3 Si trim to go on my 94 and just need to know what else I need to get and where to get it. Some things I know I need, a lot I still do not... If there is something you think I might be missing please speak up....

Injectors. 42 lb'rs have been recommended but I am not positive about that being what I need. I am not going for the ultimate power monster but understand I do not want to max them out either. Any help on good/bad brands to get or stay away from would be appreciated.

spark plugs - I know I need to change these and have no idea what kind/brand or what to gap them at. Remember I am running trickflow 170s for heads if it matters.

ignition box? - I thought the kit came with an MSD 6al box like vortech advertises but this so far has been the only disappointment with the purchase. Is it needed? I have heard mixed reactions to the reliability of msd over the past few years so if there is something else that is better please let me know.

I am interested in a meth kit as well and no idea where to go with that. I think there was someone on the forum that was said to work for one of the meth companies, as long as its the good blue stuff I am good :) .

Anything else I might be forgetting?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
42lbs should be fine 60's won't hurt and I don't think there much of a price difference , snow performance for all ur methamphetamine needs . If your going to run a msd box a 6al2 will be fine, we're using stock ignition box ,distirbutor and a msd coil on my setup . We had no ignition issues so far at 8lbs and I'm turning it up to 12lbe this week before we do the retune . I'm only running 42's with a pro m maf draw thru because I'm not intercooled , I'm currently not using methamphetamines on my setup but the nitrous is still there and it will be tuned for it as well .

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the stock coil is fine I am fine with it but what I would really like to do is just get my setup in place so I don't have to change it later. With smoothing and tucking everything I want it all anally clean so if there is an option that is better but more expensive or gives me something the stock system doesn't then I am down for it....

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
gauges - with the plx design gauge displays I have I can just add modules to the "network" with out having to add another display. Obviously a boost gauge would be good - where do I mount the sender/senser? I was thinking I could just put it where the EGR plate is with out much trouble and could probably fit a temp gauge as well even though I know it isn't needed. Would they be ok there?

Was just looking at the modules and took a swing through their custom gauge area and how cool is this? They have a cobra looking gauge complete with the SVT symbol on it I am going to have to download...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just curious as I noticed we had a msd 6al and coil come up on the classifieds section. What would it buy me exactly? Would you buy it used and if so for how much?

kb1982

Reaction score
The box that comes with the Vortech kits are BTM boost timing master boxes. They arent included in the so called "tuner kits" along with the fuel management unit FMU. Your are left to address the timing and fueling needs using larger injectors and a tune. The btm box has a map sensor in it and retards timing as the boost curve increases to avoid detonation. Controlling the timing curve with a tune in the ecu is the best method. I have the BTM6 unit in my car, but its not set to retard, or have a vacuum line even hooked up. Im just using it for the cdi aspects.

kb1982

Reaction score
If your gonna have the timing controlled by a tune in the ecm, I wouldnt bother with a BTM. As for a MSD ignition box, it would produce more powerful spark output, but would be noticable only if you have issues with your spark blowing out to begin with. With the plugs gapped properly, that shouldnt be a problem even with the stock ignition. Could you get away with more spark plug gap with the box, yes. If you wanna upgrade, i would start with the coil first.

95opal

Reaction score
ok so I got a vortech V3 Si trim to go on my 94 and just need to know what else I need to get and where to get it. Some things I know I need, a lot I still do not... If there is something you think I might be missing please speak up....

Injectors. 42 lb'rs have been recommended but I am not positive about that being what I need. I am not going for the ultimate power monster but understand I do not want to max them out either. Any help on good/bad brands to get or stay away from would be appreciated.

spark plugs - I know I need to change these and have no idea what kind/brand or what to gap them at. Remember I am running trickflow 170s for heads if it matters.

ignition box? - I thought the kit came with an MSD 6al box like vortech advertises but this so far has been the only disappointment with the purchase. Is it needed? I have heard mixed reactions to the reliability of msd over the past few years so if there is something else that is better please let me know.

I am interested in a meth kit as well and no idea where to go with that. I think there was someone on the forum that was said to work for one of the meth companies, as long as its the good blue stuff I am good :) .

Anything else I might be forgetting?

42s will be enough to get you close to the danger zone of the stock block if that's what your running. Youll have to ask yourself how much hp your looking to make before you come to a final decision. Ignition box is a good idea also doesn't have to be msd. Snow for the meth what level kit is up to you. your gonna squeeze the gap down on the [lugs till you don't have spark blow out. .038 might be a good place to start and you can play from ther depending on how much boost you plan on running.

You really need to come up with some goal or plan for your set up before you start buying stuff twice

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not aiming too have the highest hp #'s as much as just too have a solid reliable system that will hold up and last. I might hit the track 1 or 2 times a year but that is now why the car is being built. My goal really is just too have it all installed nice/clean during this rebuild so it will not need big changes later.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I run AIS meth and have nothing but positive to say about it. Let me know if you have any questions about meth.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Nothin but questions to be honest. Can you give a link to that kit that one I have not heard of before.

Hey thats what guys are here for to give you there experiences on stuff like this.

http://alcoholinjectionsystems.com/

Great company, awesome product. Snow is great too I just didn't like their setup as much honestly thats the only reason I went with AIS. If you do a search of them you will find tons of info on Rodney, he is the owner of the business. Great guy. If you go with Snow I would highly suggest getting in touch with Michael Plummer over on corral.net. Awesome guy and can hook you up and answer any question you have

95opal

Reaction score
I am not aiming too have the highest hp #'s as much as just too have a solid reliable system that will hold up and last. I might hit the track 1 or 2 times a year but that is now why the car is being built. My goal really is just too have it all installed nice/clean during this rebuild so it will not need big changes later.

Whats the hp goal? Building a blown HCI set up isn't exactly what I would call a reliable system lol. The install of any of the parts you select and with your ocd I don't for see a problem there.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't have a hp# or 1/8-1/4 time that I am shooting for. I will be happy with a conservative tune that will still give me some giggles if I dab the loud pedal ya know? I could end up at the track a couple times a year if I am lucky and my stomach allows me to go and would like to make a run just for fun but more just too see what it can do, not to tweek/tune/squeeze more out of it. I heard a long time ago that trickflow heads were good with boost which is why I got them years ago now, is that wrong?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online