Got the new KC clutch in andd.......

97blackgt

Reaction score
well i got the clutch back in today and everything went together pretty smoothly.lifted up on the petal a few times to make sure the clutch was adjusted and off i went

first thing i notice is the clutch chatters slightly when i take off....i assume this is normal since the flywheel was just machined down and the pressure plate and clutch disc are new...how many miles before the chatter goes away?

second question is this....when i drive it and im about to shift...and my foot is resting on the petal, and the petal vibrates quite a bit...its ery noticable...i know for sure that the old clutch didnt do this...any ideas what could cause this?

BTW KC clutch FTMFW!!! my stock petal was EXTREAMLY hard and after putting the KC in it feels like there isnt even a petal there.. O0

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
First- clutch should not chatter.

Second- Throw out bearing, presure plate?

Third- clutch pedal is not a foot rest, the only time your foot should be on the clutch pedal is when you are depressing the pedal to shift gears.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
i understand that a clutch isnt very complex but what i dont get is how the TOB or pressure plate could cause this kind of vibration?..its almost like something is out of balance

a slight chatter isnt normal during breakin? ive never driven a car with a fresh clutch so idk..but a lot of others have told me it will go away?

and i wasnt using the clutch petal as a foot rest..what i meant was when ur car is around 2500 RPMS and your about to shift, and i slide my foot over the petal to shift u can feel it...its not like my foot was just resting there waiting to shift..

the only other thing i thought of was the pilot bearing??? could this somehow have an effect?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
i understand that a clutch isnt very complex but what i dont get is how the TOB or pressure plate could cause this kind of vibration?..its almost like something is out of balance

a slight chatter isnt normal during breakin? ive never driven a car with a fresh clutch so idk..but a lot of others have told me it will go away?

and i wasnt using the clutch petal as a foot rest..what i meant was when ur car is around 2500 RPMS and your about to shift, and i slide my foot over the petal to shift u can feel it...its not like my foot was just resting there waiting to shift..

the only other thing i thought of was the pilot bearing??? could this somehow have an effect?

That is what I was hopeing you meant when you said resting your foot on the pedal, thanks for clearing that up.

I have done hundreds of clutches and never had a new clutch chatter. The only time I ever saw problems with a new clutch is when it was a reman.

I really highly doubt it is the pilot bearing. There is no room for movement, and if it broke you would know it.

Your clutch cable may be stretched a bit, causing it to not keep proper tension on the throw out bearing to clutch fingers. What you are thinking is a chatter may be the noise you hear from weak/poor bearing contact.

When you touch the clutch pedal, does the noise go away?

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
when i push the clutch petal in the vibration goes away....there is no noise

thats the funny thing about it...everything works perfectly, and feels good, but yet it has that wierd vibration of the petal...

im wondering if it could be something misplaced when i reinstalled the tranny..and the engine/transmission vibrations are just being felt through the petal..??not sure what could cause a vibration from the egine to be tranmitted to the clutch petal though

BTW thanks for the help matt

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
It is not your engine.

It is in the clutch or the cable. My bet the cable is stretched just enough that it does not have good consistant contact between the throw out bearing and fingers on the clutch. What you are feeling is the vibration in the throw out bearing traveling through the clutch cable and into the pedal.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
It is not your engine.

It is in the clutch or the cable. My bet the cable is stretched just enough that it does not have good consistant contact between the throw out bearing and fingers on the clutch. What you are feeling is the vibration in the throw out bearing traveling through the clutch cable and into the pedal.

you know this sounds pretty logical...i will be willling to bet your right

what would be a good way of checking this....if there even is a way?

Like i said before im pretty sure everything is alright and this just happens to be one of those annoying type things, but i would also like to know what the problem is also..i do know the cable is factory though so im sure it stretched out pretty well after 93000 miles

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
looks like tomorrow il have to pull it into lab and replace the cable

after that i have to get out the scan tool to make sure the 02 sims actually work :rant:

thanks for the help matt :drunk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online