Great day at work!

PinkieT

Reaction score
I took a part time job at an auto parts store doing counter sales and deliveries about a month ago. Guy came in today and was looking at all the Permatex gasket makers and sealers on the rack. I asked him if I could help him find something. He said he had a hole in his muffler and had to fix it or it wouldn't pass inspection. I took him over to the exhaust repair area on a different aisle and gave him a few options. The muffler bandage he bought didn't work, so he returned it and me and the other guy on duty talked it over and suggested a muffler patch compound over metal mesh. 45 minutes later he came in all smiles, said it worked perfectly and he passed inspection, and then handed me a bag saying "this is for you guys". A pair of cold ones - Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. :D

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
What was supposed to be 6 hrs a day three days a week turned into six straight days this week. One trainee quit, the main commercial sales guy is sick, so I'm working 4 to 6.5 hours on my off days. Hey, more money to spend on the 'stangs, right????

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Mo money mo!

Learning who is in your community and the tools they have can benefit you greatly. Strut compressors, transmission tools, special tools to name a few. So you just hanging out and being the big help you are will pay out much bigger in the long run.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
What was supposed to be 6 hrs a day three days a week turned into six straight days this week. One trainee quit, the main commercial sales guy is sick, so I'm working 4 to 6.5 hours on my off days. Hey, more money to spend on the 'stangs, right????
That seems to happen often when a manager finds a reliable, qualified employee, i.e. they give them more hours. Solves their immediate problem and reduces headaches in the future. Pretty soon you will be offered an assistant manager-ship!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yep, my wife warned me that there will be a new crisis every week and they would keep asking me to work extra. Ohio winters, I would rather be at work. Once spring rolls around and it is convertible weather (and the yardwork honey-dos pile up) I'm sticking to three days. I don't need the job at all except to keep me busy, so they need me more than I need them. If they insist on giving me more hours than I want, their choice is to have me three days a week or none.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I moved to az and started at intel I switched from working 6 days a week and going to school for 5, to working 14 days a month if I went every day. It was a 12 hr shift but after doing 14 hr days between work and school for the last 2 years it was no sweat. After a few months, I started to get bored and 6 months into it I decided to see if any audio/security install bays were looking for any installers. I was lucky to find a shop that could use someone from time to time when it got busy and also wanted to be able to not have someone when it was slow. That worked out perfect for me as if they had a need they would call/page me and see if I was free and if I could they would book the job. If I was busy, they would put it off but after a while I started to have to almost beg to at least give me saterday off from the shop so I could have one day off between the 2 jobs.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Got the weekend off, only scheduled for three days next week. Yay!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Fired mine up last night, put my wife's on the battery charger and will get it running tomorrow. One glitch is that my "toy box" garage is 75' of swampy grass from the driveway. Gotta wait for things to dry out before I take them on the road.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we got those storms yesterday. We had two tornado warnings and like a true hoosier I looked out the window and said "eh its not that bad yet". It was raining pretty hard but not blowing enough to really be scary. About 10 mins later the wind hit and then it was time to be scared. I was actually on the way down to the basement for the first time in 30 yrs before I looked back out and saw it was letting up already so I just enjoyed the show.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online