Greenstang's surgery

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Well I know I haven't been on in a while since my heater core started leaking in the Greenstang. Well I've had the dash out for a while and since it's starting to feel nice outside here in Tennessee I ordered parts today and I'm gonna do a little surgery on the inside of the Greenstang.

I've bought the following parts:

ATM-10009 Autometer Gauge Panel

QCR-50-166 Quick Car Toggle Panel

Florida 5.0 Full center delete panel

Vista-Pro-Ready-Aire Heater core

I figured I would post this up and let y'all know how I'm doing and what I'm doing to the Greenstang for those who care and want to follow along. I'll keep you updated and post pics when I can.

Thanks,

Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
Glad you're back on it!

We're getting warmer here to, so I've been in the garage myself.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Yeah here in East Tennessee we have been experiencing snow one day and rain the next. 70 degrees and sunny one day and the very next day 30 degrees and snow. We have the most erratic weather of anywhere in the world I'm pretty sure LOL.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Well got home today and there's a Summit Racing box on my doorstep. I freaking ordered those parts yesterday! It took them overnight to get them here and I didn't pay any special shipping just the regular free shipping! Oh the benefits of living in Tennessee when Summit Racing has a plant in Georgia lol.

The Quick Car toggle panel showed up today along with my 100ft. of wire I ordered. The Quick Car toggle panel is an exceptional product. It comes prewired even with gold terminal attached. This product is true quality IMO. I'll post pics up of everything when it all arrives. I'm awaiting one more box from Summit Racing and my Center Dash Full delete panel from Florida 5.0.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
58d0e9de9362ed5c9cffd96a8cccf67b.jpg

New gauge panel came in today. I just decided to mock it up. Gotta get a 5" speedometer still. I can't afford one right now after all the stuff I bought because their like 200 bucks lol.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
ccc2bab18047d394c07d3dc290dfb2ee.jpg

Just thought I'd share a picture of this beautiful toggle panel I bought that's made by QuickCar to make some of you jelly [emoji56] LOL

RichV

Reaction score
I'm jelly. I've been wanting to rewire and do this for years.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I'm just waiting on the full center dash delete panel from Florida 5.0 to show up before I wire any of this up in the car so that I can measure and cut holes for it and mount it to the Florida 5.0 panel before I install it all in the car.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
That all looks great. Do you have any pics of you car? Just wondering what kind of build, drag, road race?

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Honestly my goal for my build is just a nice street racing car. I've never done anything in drag racing at all. Around here we are more centered in dirt track racing which is what I've been around my whole life. There is a drag strip about 30-45 mins from my house though.

The inside of my car is all apart right now so I don't think you want to see that lol. I'll post some pictures up as I start making progress.

Also I received the full center dash delete panel from Florida 5.0 today and it's of amazing quality and has very detailed instructions. Just an all around good product I highly recommend them.

Cameron

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
68e75ed34f61c9b731b8d1709adf0bb1.jpg

Gonna post this picture up and get some comments and suggestions on the layout of this panel. I'm thinking the quick car a little bit lower than midway on the panel and I'm not sure about the trans controller. The deal I want to try to do with the trans controller is have the body of it behind the panel and the screen showing through the panel (so basically a cut out in the panel to see the screen) and run some bolts with nuts through it and lock it down. Then I still need to be able to access the USB port on it so I was thinking maybe the side kick panel and go ahead and attach the USB cord to it and leave it behind the kick panel so I can go ahead and connect up to it easily.

Sorry if it's hard to follow what I'm saying here I've got it visualized in my mind I'm just trying to paint the picture for all of who. All suggestions and comments on what you what do and how you would layout this panel are absolutely welcome. Let er rip tater chip!

Cameron

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
54dd9495081dc75377efa7e1b8e304f1.jpg

Does anyone remember where these brackets go? I think they are to hold the heater core to the firewall from the inside of the car but can't remember where they go. This is my first time replacing a heater core in one of these mustangs and I waited so long to finally start reinstalling that I forgot where stuff goes LOL. Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Cameron

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Never mind I figured it out LOL.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
840b873e5c45faf65946048d54d7980b.jpg
40e60b5ff4d1fc487866a1cbea038186.jpg

Okay as you can see I've cut out everything in my panel except for the LCD screen display. Dremel melts more than it cuts and is hard to control. This needs to be a very fine precise clean cut. This ABS plastic is thick how would you recommend cutting the cutout for this LCD screen? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Cameron

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
624f1a19be57989b03463fcafaf2d378.jpg

Here's what the finished product will look like. I just need to get something/find someone that can cut that LCD display hole exact without melting plastic and making it look like shit.

Cameron

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I've seen that fine tooth jig saws do a pretty clean job if you have a steady hand. You would have to drill a starter hole in the center somewhere and work your way around. Than you could always clean up the lines with a file, if it's needed.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I just can't imagine a jig saw being able to do it. It would be uncontrollable and scratch the hell out of it IMO. But I do appreciate your comment. I'm gonna take it to this race car part fabricating shop near the house tomorrow when I get outta college and see if they can cut it for me. I would think a water jet would be ideal because the water will not allow the plastic to melt at all obviously!

Cameron

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Reciprocating air saw with a medium to fine tooth blade will cut it like a hot knife through butter.

It's what we always used at the shop when cutting sheets of abs plastic and for cutting dashes on cars.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I'm just gonna let this local shop called PPM do it for me. They are a fabricating shop that makes a ton of racing parts for dirt track cars. Their water jet machine is down right now but will be back up in a few days so it's better to wait and let them do it right rather than screw a hundred dollar panel up rushing things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.