Grid-less rear window

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Caboose302, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Caboose302

Caboose302 Well-Known Member

is there a way to remove the rear defroster grid? Or would it just be easier to replace the entire window? I'm going to have all the glass pulled when I have the car repainted after suspension and engine rebuild. Just wanting a cleaner look since it will rarely, if ever, see rain or snow now.

2. ster302

ster302 Member

I think it would be a pain to remove if even possible, never thought about it. My GT wasn't equipped with rear defrost, tint looks much better.

3. Caboose302

Caboose302 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think they look like crap with the tint over the grid. Especially since that's always where the tint seems to peel first. Just trying to save money without buying a new window but that might be my only option. I can always try it with a razor and if I screw it up I'll have to replace the window anyway, lol.

4. ster302

ster302 Member

The biggest problem I think would be where the connections are soldered to the glass. If you heated the solder you could still damage the glass.

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

you can always sand/polish glass if it gets scratched it. I might start with an old on that you can possibly mess up with out worrying about it first. Willing to bet a light chemical stripper and a razor knife would get the majority of it off.

6. JKady

JKady Active Member

Those tabs pop off pretty easily, I just did it on accident removing the trim around the rear side window the other day.