Grinding noise from tranny

r_suh

Reaction score
Friend owns a 95 gt sc and his tranny in neutral has a slight grinding noise. its not a really loud grind but just slight enough for you to hear it with no music on. Any suggestions?

ryclef331

Reaction score
does it go away or does the pitch of it change when you push the clutch in? About the only thing it would be is the throwout bearing. It could be the pilot bearing as well.

pagz

Reaction score
odd....mine does the same thing....but mine also grinds during take off in 1st gear.....i figure whenever i drop the tranny to see what needs replacing this winter, i'll change all the seals and bearings and clutch and maybe the tranny itself......

let us know how it turns out.....

would a bad tranny mount cause that noise?

OP
OP
R

r_suh

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
does it go away or does the pitch of it change when you push the clutch in? About the only thing it would be is the throwout bearing. It could be the pilot bearing as well.
i believe it goes away when the clutch is engaged. funny thing is that he just got a new clutch and tranny replaced on his car. could it be possible to mess up the throwout bearing and pilot bearing just from a bad driver? the tranny and clutch is about two months old.

ryclef331

Reaction score
check the throwout bearing. You can see it by pulling off the inspection cover on the side of the bellhousing. Look in there and make sure its seated against the pressure plate correctly. When the clutch was done, was the throwout bearing changed? If not....why not?! It is VERY possible that when putting the tranny in, if an alignment tool wasn't used for the clutch, that you might have hit the pilot bearing the "wrong way" and fucked it up. Judging by the fact the noise goes away when you push the clutch in, I'd vote throwout bearing.

OP
OP
R

r_suh

Reaction score
don't think my friend took his car to a reputable shop. he just took it to a place down the street from where he lives. thanks for the info and i'll pass the message along. but i'll tell ya that i'll be back for some more advice later because his car has been acting up lately.

chrajohns0

Reaction score
i just replaced my clutch and it was not a hard job at all. the hardestjob was getting the pilot bearing out. but then got the blind hole tool for it and worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online