Grinding noise when braking in low speeds and idle

TRKY

Reaction score
Hello!
New member to the forum.

Recently bought a 1996 Mustang GT manual trans for my first restoration project.

I noticed a week back that when I start the car theres a fairly loud grinding/rattle noise from the engine bay. This happens at idle, when I turn the steering wheel to both sides and when I step on the brakes the noise gets louder and the RPMs slightly drop. At low speeds the same noise is there.

I jacked the car up and noticed a ripped boot from in the rack & pinion from which there is a leak of what I assume is the power steering fluid (level is between MAX and LOW and the noise is still there). Noise is present whether the car is hot or cold.

What relation would the noise have with the brakes when the tear is on the rack and pinion?

The noise only worsens when I press the brakes. Not when I press the clutch or gas.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Your car uses hydroboost so the brakes are assisted by the power steering pump. So the power steering fluid being low could cause that. Make sure there are no bubbles in the power steering fluid and the level is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.