ground strap?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a large hot rod show in town with a huge swap meet. I picked up a ground strap to replace the stock one as I remember it was pretty bad when we pulled the motor but I can't remember where it was tightened down to. Where is the best, least visable place to put it?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought I that was where I remembered it being but could not find any evidence of it when I looked.

cameron57

Reaction score
The best place is to the block or cylinder head. The route along k member and into fender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is that bolt on the back of the heads I could slide it under and down the back that could work. Glad I opted for the long strap. in reality this really should not be too much of a problem with the alt I am using and how I am running all my grounds. The HO bastard alt actually has two lugs on the top for power/ground and I am running both back to a common point by my fusebox where it all grounds to the chassis. From there there is another 0 awg power/ground run to the rear to hit the batteries. So this is really just a more is better type of thought since I know grounding crap can be so picky.

cameron57

Reaction score
Ya the would work fine. They say the correct way is ground to each side of head then to chassis.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like complete over kill and exactly what I am doing. After some thought though with the gaskets and stuff between the head/motor it would seem better to me to go to the block?

rw95gt

Reaction score
Worked for me. Mine is simple. Battery in trunk. 2 gauge to rear body panel trunk latch bolt, frame rail to engine mount. Frame rail to timing cover. Moved computer ground at fuse box to the timing cover ground on frame rail. Excellent spark. I still might add one to both heads . Haven't decided yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok now it works. is that person someone I want to take advice from or just some random internet person though? I have seen high HP dragsters that have a large strap going around the heads but I thought that was for when the motor explodes just to keep parts from flying? I just can't get my head past the fact that between the gaskets and locktight that the head could be fairly insulated from the motor electronically speaking

rw95gt

Reaction score
The timing cover has a bolt on it for a ground strap. I think it really depends on your power level. I mean if you have a very powerful coil and ignition system I'm sure you would want a very well grounded engine. I'm sure the factory grounds are plenty just be sure they stay tight and don't develop any corrosion. I don't think having to many ground straps will hurt anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cameron57

Reaction score
That forum in genral has a wealth of knowledge. But yes other threads on that forum about similar things have been very helpfull dig around on there you will see what im saying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online