gs550 build

punched281

Reaction score
I got my next project lined up. I am kinda needing a break from the Mustang, and this will be a little lest money. Okay, a lot less moneys.

My buddy built a cafe out of one and he picked another one up for 50 bucks. He is moving and is going to give that other bike to me. I am excited about it and have been wanting to do something like this for years.

I am going to shoot for a mix between a cafe and a bobber. Probably stick with the stock motor and a little bigger carbs. It is going to be a diy project under a budget.

I pick it up on Thursday!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That'll be sweet, wish I had more than my apartment garage so I could get into something like this! Post some picks when u get a chance

Reaction score
Awesome im looking forward to your build.Ive been thinking about a similar build myself.And your buddies bike looks great btw.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll let him know its getting some looks!

I'm stoked, kinda researching what the motor is all about. Not wanting to build a monster, just a nice cruiser. The bike has 7k on it so debating if I should just get it running without tearing it apart or just rebuild it. I've got some bits for porting so I'll port the head while its off. Prob re-ring it, clean the piston and valves and then new bearings. Not sure yet though.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Picked up this beauty yesterday!

Might look into an assembled motor to save some time and space. Most likely a 650. I'll at least get a 650 head if I keep this block.

First step is to strip everything off and cut the frame up.

But so far it'll need:
New electronics for the most part
Make my own wiring harness
Rebuild or replace motor
Rebuild front shocks & lower them
Look for different wheels, I want spokes
Make head light mount & find a cool light
Needs a tank
Rebuild the carbs

Its got new tires on there for some reason so that's sweet. And I know some of you wonder why I didn't start with a better platform. Because my good friend gave this bike to me. It is in rough shape but I'm stoked to get started on it. ( have to finish the talon project first) but for now I'll research and start ordering parts up for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online