gs550 build

Discussion in 'Build Ups & Projects' started by punched281, Jan 11, 2015.

1. punched281

punched281 Active Member

I got my next project lined up. I am kinda needing a break from the Mustang, and this will be a little lest money. Okay, a lot less moneys.

My buddy built a cafe out of one and he picked another one up for 50 bucks. He is moving and is going to give that other bike to me. I am excited about it and have been wanting to do something like this for years.

I am going to shoot for a mix between a cafe and a bobber. Probably stick with the stock motor and a little bigger carbs. It is going to be a diy project under a budget.

I pick it up on Thursday!

2. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

That'll be sweet, wish I had more than my apartment garage so I could get into something like this! Post some picks when u get a chance

3. punched281

punched281 Active Member

This is what I'm going for. This is my buddies finished one..

[​IMG]

4. tchmotorsports

tchmotorsports Member

Awesome im looking forward to your build.Ive been thinking about a similar build myself.And your buddies bike looks great btw.

5. punched281

punched281 Active Member

Thanks! I'll let him know its getting some looks!

I'm stoked, kinda researching what the motor is all about. Not wanting to build a monster, just a nice cruiser. The bike has 7k on it so debating if I should just get it running without tearing it apart or just rebuild it. I've got some bits for porting so I'll port the head while its off. Prob re-ring it, clean the piston and valves and then new bearings. Not sure yet though.

6. punched281

punched281 Active Member

Picked up this beauty yesterday!

Might look into an assembled motor to save some time and space. Most likely a 650. I'll at least get a 650 head if I keep this block.

First step is to strip everything off and cut the frame up.

But so far it'll need:
    New electronics for the most part
    Make my own wiring harness
    Rebuild or replace motor
    Rebuild front shocks & lower them
    Look for different wheels, I want spokes
    Make head light mount & find a cool light
    Needs a tank
    Rebuild the carbs

Its got new tires on there for some reason so that's sweet. And I know some of you wonder why I didn't start with a better platform. Because my good friend gave this bike to me. It is in rough shape but I'm stoked to get started on it. ( have to finish the talon project first) but for now I'll research and start ordering parts up for it.