GT-40 Explorer intakes - school me

joemomma

Reaction score
Hey guys - looking at GT-40 Explorer intakes for my '94GT. I'm a bit confused on which route to go regarding internal or external EGR. My car currently has the EGR system in tact, but I have a block off plate and "eBay fooler" plug available. I'm not opposed to removing the system or leaving it in place. I've read lots of stories on issues when the EGR is removed. For reference, I live in a county where there is no emissions testing. I've already removed the smog pump and associated plumbing.

My question is which route do I need to go regarding the intakes? Internal EGR or external EGR, or does it even matter? Are you locked in to a setup once you make a choice? For example, if you choose a non-EGR intake, do you have to eliminate the EGR system or can you still run it? Or conversely, if you choose an EGR intake can you eliminate the EGR system later? Or am I just way overthinking this and just grab the one I can get the best deal on?

Car is a work in progress, budget build. I'm trying to get it cosmetically fixed up and just doing small things at the moment to make it a bit better, but I'm almost to the point of where I have it like I want and am ready to start building budget power (hence the Explorer intake route).

07GtS197

Reaction score
An egr delete is more trouble than it’s worth for no power gains and worse fuel mileage imo. It’s not hurting anything and it even helps with gas mileage and prevents pinging at cruise.

As for the intakes you have an external egr, there is a pipe that goes from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the egr valve. Fox bodies had an internal egr. The egr passage is in the middle of the intake, you can see it between the intake runners. I would stick to an external egr to make things simple, besides I think they’re easier to find than the internal egr manifolds anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
10-4, thanks for the info. Yeah I've noticed that passage on several lowers I've looked at as well as the passage on the TB mounting face on the uppers. I'll limit my searches to external EGR models just to make things simple.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m sure you could use an internal egr intake but for simplicity sake I’d avoid it.

I just realized we’re on here instead of s197 lol.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah, basically same question I asked over there...thought I might get more traction here. I need to get a build log going here.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised no one else answered here but yeah I think a build thread would get some attention.

joe65

Reaction score
We have a stock like crate 5.0 that we put the explorer gt40 on with the egr passage in the lower manifold and are making it work in a fake kinda way. we have to show all the smog parts here to get past emissions, but we don't have to prove they are working...lol.IMG-1929.jpg

tvsn95

Reaction score
IF you can find a Cobra intake that would be best. It's external and has the elbow angle already.
I don't like EGR, puts all kind of nasty stuff inside and really dirtys things in the intake/valves. I never noticed any pinging, in any case that is just a side effect of adding non combustible gasses into your clean air.
If you are not tuning you can slide a shim between EGR and Manifold , leave wiring hooked up and prevent CEL

joe65

Reaction score
yes the Cobra versions are the nicest, but people want bank for them now also. it has become a pita for me to deal with the egr on the swap.

tvsn95

Reaction score
If you block with a shim and hook up wiring you dont need the tube from the exhaust. the ecu never know the diff
also the explorer upper needs a spacer in place of the egr , to clear the throttle if I remember right, you can get that after market.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not paid attention to the cobra intake prices for a while. A quick search on ebays sold listings and there was only one upper that sold for less than $500 last month. I got mine years ago obviously for $125
ONg0yha.jpg

now with everything ported and polished I might have to up my insurance.

tvsn95

Reaction score
I really like the way you moved all the wiring, where did it all move to . did you cut/splice it ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can do a basic wire tuck with out cutting much if anything if I am not mistaken. To keep the fuse box access on the side I think I did do some soldering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online