gt 40 head probs

95pootang

Reaction score
When i ordered the new engine , i had the cast iron gt 40 heads to go along with it , well when we took out the old one , we found that there isnt a port holle for the smog pump line to connect up to on the back side of the heads. now my delema is . the enigine place cant find thoses types of heads that have the port hole on the back side for smog. so do i keep the heads on with the new engine or go back to stock, or block off the smog pump and just say screw it for now. but backing up , will this cause a check engine lite ??? give me some thoughts , now mind ya i live in california sooooo we all know the smog sucks out here, lol i can have them trade the new gt 40 heads out for new stock ones. but thats gonna cut back on some power. tell me what you would do. thanks :comando:

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it'll throw the code...it might, and cali is a different ball game so you'd know more about it then others.

BUT

My advise: Is the car a daily driver? If you have the time to work on it then wait, save some money and get some good alum heads. If you're doing a whole new motor stock heads will really govern your power. If its a financial deal then I totally understand. I have TF Twisted Wedge heads with stock headers lol.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Eliminating the SMOG pump will NOT throw a code. Keep your heads, ditch the pump, leave the EGR, and RIDE OUT! If it throws a code, you're putting a full on crate motor in there ANYWAY. Have a chip burnt on a dyno tune....while you're there, have them turn off the emissions. No light...no problem.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
Production 302 roller block , fully machined
· Sealed Power forged piston .068 dish for 9.0:1
· Comp cams Extreme Energy hyd. Roller cam mild , blower specific grind 215/224 Duration @.050 .533 lift 114 LSA
· 1.54 exaust valve , longer to eliminate valve rotator and have adequate spring installed height and pressure
· Eagle I-beam steel rod with ARP cap screw bolt , bushed pin
· Cometic MLS head gaskets
· ARP head studs
· Includes oil pump and remaining gaskets to assemble
this should help out the bottom end of the 302 with the kb blower. just thought id share the news
This is the engine im putting in , its has the gt40 heads to go along with it, the old engine is out. new ones on a stand. like i say the pisser is with the heads, take in mind ill also have to kb blower going on , sct chip 42lbs injectors, 90mm maf kb boost pump. i know the chips already programmed for what i have going on. but out here in california, this smog thing kills us. i wishi there were another way of doing this with out going back to the stock heads.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
95pootang said:
...but out here in california, this smog thing kills us. i wishi there were another way of doing this with out going back to the stock heads.
Soo I take it alum heads are outa the question...

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
i think alumminum heads are legal. thats my next step . the guy who built the engines going to up grade to trickflow heads.so they will be here next week.i hope , lol

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
They are, you get the certificate with 'em. I was just askin if you'd do them now since everything's apart.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
Ya , since everythings apart nows the best time, im going to do the 2500 stall converted for the new tranny also

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
You should buy my ported TFS Hi-Ports. They'll wake it right up AND be smog legal.

97vertstang

Reaction score
i doubt with a kenne belle 42 lb imjectors, that cam, it will be legal anyways.the cam is not that bad, but here in cali almost anything is illegal so i dont think it will be legal anyways so might as well get rid ur smog pump. :dunno:

OpenRoadRacer

Reaction score
i have GT40's on my cobra and they have those EGR/smog holes in the back. i'm running smog pump delete and would rather have the heads without the EGR/smog holes in the back like what you have. wanna trade??? :banana:

snoball

Reaction score
Man it must suck to be acar guy in cali.. After this upcoming sept. no cars older than 95 have to be tested for emissions. I had my test a little while ago and since im not due until after, im taking off all the egr/smog pump/emissions everything and its going in the garbage. Plus in Missouri the only "law" on mods is you cant have underglow lights on the highway.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
i got thinkng can i take theses heads to a machine shop and have them drill out for the port hole that the regular heads have. give me your thoughts. thanks gil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online