GT 40 heads and then take required tune?

Reaction score
If a fellow were to slap on some GT 40 heads and intake but kept the stock cam will a tune be required? 95 gt. Stock injectors as well.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i would have to say not required
unless you have modified the heads or put a bigger cam in
its pretty much running stalk
if you have a tune the piggy back chip pull it off
should run fine

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
All the shops around here want like 1000 bucks to tune this turd... so I think I'm just going to take all the fuel injection crap off and sell it, and use that money to buy a good used intake and carb set up... Then use the 1000 bucks towards a tubular front end and tubular k member... That, or just throw a stock cam in it and use it for a beater, and buy the 97 back from my brother in law, and LS swap it for track duty...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well, the fella that was making the chips for those cars is no longer making them. I’m not too sure if SCT or Diablo can tune them. Your options are getting limited down to using an aftermarket ecu like megasquirt or Holley. Megasquirt sells a plug and play unit that takes the place of the factory ecu, it still has to be tuned but it can be done by numerous remote tuners at that point.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
All the shops around here want like 1000 bucks to tune this turd... so I think I'm just going to take all the fuel injection crap off and sell it, and use that money to buy a good used intake and carb set up... Then use the 1000 bucks towards a tubular front end and tubular k member...

That,
Well, the fella that was making the chips for those cars is no longer making them. I’m not too sure if SCT or Diablo can tune them. Your options are getting limited down to using an aftermarket ecu like megasquirt or Holley. Megasquirt sells a plug and play unit that takes the place of the factory ecu, it still has to be tuned but it can be done by numerous remote tuners at that point.
And at the end of the day, it’ll still cost a grand by time it’s all said and done. I like the sn95s, but starting with a fox would have been a lot less headaches. I decided to just go carbed, I know that will effect resale value down the road, it is not like these cars are fetching a lot of money for driver quality cars…

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Well, tuning takes a lot of time. Especially a dyno tune. It takes 2 guys 20 ish minutes to strap it down, then it can take all day to get a tune done. If you run in to problems, it could take more than a day. An 8 hour day at our shop is $1024 plus tax. And then you are paying for knowledge. Not everyone can tune, and learning to tune cost money. I’ve got roughly $5k invested in my tuning education and equipment, and I’m still not ready to tune a bunch of cars.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I’m just saying for me, for this set up, paying that much for a tune isn’t worth it. Beside, this is just a temp set up, as the car will be getting a 351w based motor or ls swap probably next winter… so for now, I’m just going to go carbed.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I’m just going to go carbed for now. I think I can sell the fuel injection stuff for enough to cover the carb swap.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Carbing it isn’t cost effective in anyway . You won’t sell off the EFI stuff to offset the cost . You can hardly give that stuff away . If they’re stock heads and cam you won’t need a tune .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would at least bolt her back up and make sure there were no problems prior to making the switch if it really needed it but some people love their carbs.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Carbing it isn’t cost effective in anyway . You won’t sell off the EFI stuff to offset the cost . You can hardly give that stuff away . If they’re stock heads and cam you won’t need a tune .

The car had an explorer intake, 47 lb injectors, bbk adjustable regulator, trickflow elbow, 75mm tb, bbk mass air. I would replace these with a used intake and carb, and probably an eBay hei distributor. I’d used the stock fuel pump with a hi pressure to low pressure regulator. I will probably have to toss some additional money at it, but it’ll be way cheaper 1000 bucks… and will probably be faster with the carb… this motor is just temporary, car will get a more serious set up next year l.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online