GT master cylinder with Cobra brakes - OK to use?

PinkieT

Reaction score
Swapped 98 Cobra front and rear brakes into my 98 GT. New pads, used drilled and slotted rotors, rebuilt calipers. I see that the master cylinder is different for a Cobra and a GT. Any advantage to swapping a Cobra master into the car? I gotta say the braking isn't much different than on the GT.

Mustanger

Reaction score
The brakes will be less power assisted due to the difference in diameters of the two Master cylinders. I switched to the Cobra one & it is perfect. The GT one will be harder to brake with...how much I cannot say.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The master cylinder on the hydroboosted car is the same bore for both GT and SVT Cobra. It is only vacuum assisted brakes that need a different master cylinder.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Did the Cobra brake swap on my son's 98 GT and he never noticed a big change in the brake pedal. He did say it stopped a lot better.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Who makes the braided lines for the cobra/mach1 brakes? All I’ve found are GT only braided lines.

I’ll have an 01 cobra master cylinder laying around once I swap over to my manual master cylinder this winter if you’re interested.

I’d rather have to press on the pedal a lil harder and gain ALOT of space in the engine bay. lol

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm interested in the Cobra master... I think! I got Russell brake lines for mine a while back, but don't remember where or any other details. I found https://www.summitracing.com/parts/.../model/mustang/submodel/svt-cobra?prefilter=1. According to Steeda, 96-04 Cobra and 99-04 GT are the same.

Thats what I thought as well but most of the companies list them as GT only. I knew the rear would work but wondered about the front.

I’ll save this thread so I can let you know when I get the master cylinder out after the rebuilding season starts.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Who makes the braided lines for the cobra/mach1 brakes? All I’ve found are GT only braided lines.

I’ll have an 01 cobra master cylinder laying around once I swap over to my manual master cylinder this winter if you’re interested.

I’d rather have to press on the pedal a lil harder and gain ALOT of space in the engine bay. lol
I got mine from TPS Motorsports. Or TPS Performance. Can't remember which one.

TrickVert

Reaction score
For future reference for those doing a Cobra brake upgrade on the 94/95: I did the brake and caliper swap, and noticed increased braking performance, but a firmer pedal. It was OK, but after switching to a '93 Cobra MC (required because the fittings were reversed on the 94/95 MC), I'm much happier with the feel.

P.S. SS lines front and rear here as well.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
What year did they go to Hydroboost? Maybe they had different bore master cylinders with vacuum boosters, but the same on hydro. What I see searching parts catalogs is both 1998 GT and Cobra masters have 1" bores. ???????

Wild Horses

Reaction score
For future reference for those doing a Cobra brake upgrade on the 94/95: I did the brake and caliper swap, and noticed increased braking performance, but a firmer pedal. It was OK, but after switching to a '93 Cobra MC (required because the fittings were reversed on the 94/95 MC), I'm much happier with the feel.

P.S. SS lines front and rear here as well.

On my 91 fox it was the same deal. Pedal was way harder but it had some stopping power that is for damn sure. The correct brake bias adjustment was key though.

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I've just done this on my 2001 GT. Fitted corba disc, calipers and so on but kept the GT's stock master cylinder and boy do I need to put in a lot more effort to get the car to stop. Don't get me wrong the car stops a lot better then it did stock but I do have to put in a lot more effort to get it to stop. If this isn't right please let me know

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
brakes1 (3).JPG 0325001745a.jpg I put front and rear '01 "Bullitt" brakes on mine which are basically the same as the Cobra units (PBR calipers) along with braided stainless steel brake lines. I did not change the booster or master cylinder and have not noticed any major deficiencies. Pedal effort may be a little bit more on mine but they work fine. I thought the GT brakes were great until I installed the Bullitt calipers, braided S/S brake lines, and the Baer slotted and cross-drilled rotors. Wow - what a difference! I got the brake lines from Classic Tube and they have performed flawlessly. I always wanted to install a brake bias proportioning valve but never did.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Looks like my MC results only good for 94/95 not the hydroboost. Thanks guys I learned something...it is definitely different with the Cobra MC! Much easier & better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online