GT Rear Brake upgrades

sk8erord

Reaction score
So what is the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade the rears on the GT models? Is it still Cobra? From my research, that requires a LOT of work just to get a slightly larger, vented rotor. Eventually I'm going to go some sort of big brake all around, but that's down the road. I'm just worried about running a non-vented rotor on the track. I have cobras up front right now, but the rear are stock.

If my research is correct, for Cobra you need:
Calipers
Rotors
Lines
Pads
Rotors
Mounting plate
Anti-moan bracket (I have no idea what this is)

Seems like a lot - but I'm not sure how much of a benefit it will bring... A solid rotor feels like it'll overheat and fade faster, though...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's what I would do. It's labor intensive, but a decent upgrade, marginal track gains, pretty much nothing you'd feel on the street, since most braking is handled by the front axle

PinkieT

Reaction score
A good set of slotted/drilled GT rotors and high performance pads are the best bang for the buck right now unless you luck into a set of Cobra brakes. Installing the Cobra rear brakes onto a GT means requires removing your rear axles, so there is a lot more labor is involved vs. just swapping in better GT rotors and pads. If you are already taking the axle apart for a limited slip and/or gearing upgrade, you have almost all the hard stuff done for a Cobra swap, though... just my opinion, worth every dime you paid for it :)

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Calipers and lines are the same. You'll need the axle bracket and either Cobra/Mach caliper bracket or modify the GT bracket. I modified the GT bracket when we swapped the rear ends on my son's car. 20 minutes or so with a cut off wheel was all it took.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
don't forget you have to remove the axles to install the mounting plate. If your taking the time to pull them out then why not upgrade the diff/axles? its only money

Reaction score
I swapped in a bullitt rear with no change to my calipers or lines and it worked perfectly fine. Ive since upgraded to ss lines, hp+ pads and slotted rotors but all you need for the swap is the axle bracket and rotors

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could support Pete at FTR that runs an add right up here ^ for custom brake brackets and do a Cobra front to rear kit like this....
IMG_1448-D.jpg

Cheap, easy to do, uses stock parts, much lighter than the Brembos.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah but Pete doesn’t like to respond to questions unless your one of his buddies. Most people prefer getting questions answered before ordering anything.

So if your one of his buddies go ahead. Maybe he’ll respond to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustanger

Reaction score
I did a Bullitt/Cobra -Front/Rear brake setup on mine...A bit of work but I love the results....I also changed the GT Master cyl out to a Cobra one to get the correct light brake pedal feel! great all round street light track brakes! I thought it was s major difference in braking ability.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have not switched to the Cobra MC yet...so my peddle is "heavy" still, I like that I do not have to run the front brake cooling ducts if I want now that the rears are helping more with the bias and total balance. I am running Hawk HP+ in the front and HP street pads in the rear.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have a cobra MC that is unused if anyone is interested pm me.

Might be. I just put Cobra front and rears on my 98 GT. Haven't got it off the jackstands yet (fuel pump crapped out) so I have no idea what the pedal feel will be like once on the road. How much difference is there? Thanks!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The FTR kit uses a front caliper in the rear, which raises some concerns with pad knock. It is said that it was designed to not have that, but I have my doubts (no offense to FTR). If you are not tracking, there is no use in swapping out the rear setup. Might as well play with some brake pad compounds, itll be cheaper and still get some good braking out of it. If you are doing it for racing, the GT kit is still fine. Since most of the braking is done at the front, I would be very doubtful that a novice would overheat the brakes.

But if you insist, Baer makes a 13" rotor upgrade for the GT, but its a solid rotor, not vented. I'd say spend your money on a front kit versus a rear kit.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+1^ I ran the stock PBR's up front and the stock '96 rears with just the pad up grade and it is is all you need but I did run cooling ducts with it. But gee wiz you ain't squat if you do not buy my Shelby GT500 big Brembo setup 'cause if it ain't trick you ain't ....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online