GT VS V6

engineman312

Reaction score
i have to disagree with the guys that say a sixer with an exhaust sounds like ass. it just depends on what ppl do. i've gotten a lot of compliments on how my car sounds, and always get asked if its a GT... a stock GT though, lol. i did a dual exhaust adaptor with H-pipe and magnaflow catbacks, and kept the stock exhaust. it sounds great, even in higher rpms, although the highest i ever revved it was about 4000, lol.

as for your question on how to compete with GTs, thats actually my current project. in a few weeks i'm swapping out my 7.5 rear for an 8.8 from a GT with 3.73s, an underdrive pulley, a chip with an 87 and 93 tune, and front GT brakes. by my i'll also be upgrading the clutch and flywheel, and possibly the transmission.

sometime this summer i'm doing HCI, with the split port swap and another tune, probably going to upgrade to forged internals 42# injectors and a 310 focus svt fuel pump (in preparation of going FI). however before doing the Heads Cam and Intake, i'll have to decide if i want to keep the engine 3.8L, or stroke and bore it to a 4.2L. I've been doing some reading from it, and ppl seem to have had some good results on it.

if you aren't already, register on 3.8mustang.com Guys there know what they are talking about, however they are big on searches, so don't just post a question... i did that a couple of times and my threads got locked down like a nun's p**sy.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
1slosn95 said:
justinschmidt1 said:
The reason he only made 200 hp is becuase hes got the damn single port heads....im assuming it would be high 13s if he ran 13s too.

no faith?

what do you mean no faith?

200 whp is not a lot, yes it has a shitload of torque..but 200 whp is not a lot...I speak the truth..that car wont run any more than 13.7-13.8 at best

As far as v6 engines sounding good.

They sound like ass if you rev em up past 3 or 4k.

Maybe at idle they sound decent but I can always tell its a 6 when they get on it a little.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
1slosn95 said:
justinschmidt1 said:
The reason he only made 200 hp is becuase hes got the damn single port heads....im assuming it would be high 13s if he ran 13s too.

no faith?

what do you mean no faith?

200 whp is not a lot, yes it has a shitload of torque..but 200 whp is not a lot...I speak the truth..that car wont run any more than 13.7-13.8 at best

As far as v6 engines sounding good.

They sound like ass if you rev em up past 3 or 4k.

Maybe at idle they sound decent but I can always tell its a 6 when they get on it a little.

13.7 with 200hp isn't bad considering 96-98 Cobras run about those times to. The Cobra may be stock but when comparing a V6 to it it's not that bad.

On top of that it's like 3-4 seconds off a stock V6's 1/4 mile.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
V6sprout at v6power.net did the top end swap only if I remember correctly.

Sprout (Jamie)
1994 Mustang w/Supercoupe motor
2007 V6FC Champion
13.611 @ 99 MPH
196.7 RWHP / 323 RWTQ

That's from his sig. I do remember reading that he uses drags which is why he's running that time. I'd say without them he'd still be running better than high 14's.

I took this from his thread when he ran a 13.699...

"Yeah stock 97 mustang bottom end and stock heads stock cam, with SC stuff bolt on, it held up great, and would have held up even longer no problem, putting more boost to it ran it a little lean up top, if Ihad my xcal with me I woudl have richen it up a bit from 4000-6000 rpm, another note to self, don't leave home without your xcal"

1slosn95

Reaction score
:nonono: i just like to be different...every time i tell someone my car is a v6 they're like you should've got a v8 but im not trying to be like the majority i want to stick out a bit :coolsmiley: plus cheaper insurance

voidfinger

Reaction score
v6 mustangs are the majority... but not in the performance field.

O wow, my friends GTP potiac runs 13.8's with his big 300 pound butt in there.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
v6mustang94 said:
V6sprout at v6power.net did the top end swap only if I remember correctly.

Sprout (Jamie)
1994 Mustang w/Supercoupe motor
2007 V6FC Champion
13.611 @ 99 MPH
196.7 RWHP / 323 RWTQ

That's from his sig. I do remember reading that he uses drags which is why he's running that time. I'd say without them he'd still be running better than high 14's.

I took this from his thread when he ran a 13.699...

"Yeah stock 97 mustang bottom end and stock heads stock cam, with SC stuff bolt on, it held up great, and would have held up even longer no problem, putting more boost to it ran it a little lean up top, if Ihad my xcal with me I woudl have richen it up a bit from 4000-6000 rpm, another note to self, don't leave home without your xcal"

thats awesome!...im wrong...thats good for low 14s with street tires def. probably high 13s!.

Thats awesome for a single port v6...but then again...your blown 6 is a as fast as a PI gt with gears.

I have nothing against v6 stangs..blow em!

people are stupid and think that every mustang needs a 5.0

like theyre amazing or something...

voidfinger

Reaction score
no just shit tons cheaper to make fast.

But yea the v6 is just a 5.0 with two less ya know

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Justin:
Yeah, V6s definitely don't quite have same the potential as a GT but having a s/c'ed V6 would be fun.

I just like the idea of being quicker than most cars on the street and or comparable/better than some of the V8s.

Void:
I wouldn't say it's much cheaper though considering you could do a bolt ons GT with gears and be faster than a S/C'ed V6. My block work alone is probably going to cost me over 3k. Then you have to add in all the parts I've bought and have to buy yet. And then I want to have the heads ported yet to. I'm hoping I'd be running at least a low 13 when I'm done. Which is quick but I'm sure it wouldn't take much for a V8 to be faster at a lower cost.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
v6mustang94 said:
Justin:
Yeah, V6s definitely don't quite have same the potential as a GT but having a s/c'ed V6 would be fun.

I just like the idea of being quicker than most cars on the street and or comparable/better than some of the V8s.

Void:
I wouldn't say it's much cheaper though considering you could do a bolt ons GT with gears and be faster than a S/C'ed V6. My block work alone is probably going to cost me over 3k. Then you have to add in all the parts I've bought and have to buy yet. And then I want to have the heads ported yet to. I'm hoping I'd be running at least a low 13 when I'm done. Which is quick but I'm sure it wouldn't take much for a V8 to be faster at a lower cost.

I know a bunch of guys with 99-04 Pi gts with gears and DRs that run mid to low 13s.

This one guy I know has 4.10s a tune and street tires.

He was running 13.1 with a 1.8 60 on street tires.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
engineman312 said:
stroke it to a 4.2L that'll be sick.

That's the plan. :thumbup: I just need to get another quote from the shop. They're an hour away and I just haven't felt up to the drive at all this winter. I previously got a quote last fall but that was with keeping it a 3.8 and that was about $3200. We added a lot of extra things onto the list that I could do if I wanted to. So I want to go back with my new plan (the 4.2) and get a quote without the unnecessary stuff. Just the things I want to do for sure and get the final number.

engineman312

Reaction score
yeah man. i'm doing a 4.2L and i'm just researching the hell out of it because i want to make it right.

voidfinger

Reaction score
v6mustang94 said:
Justin:

Void:

Naw man, i was responding to the idea of a "5.0 is better" idea. It's b/c they are cheaper to make fast than a 4.6 or a 3.8

v6mustang94

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
v6mustang94 said:
Justin:

Void:

Naw man, i was responding to the idea of a "5.0 is better" idea. It's b/c they are cheaper to make fast than a 4.6 or a 3.8

Oh I see. I thought you were saying that V6s would be cheaper.

voidfinger

Reaction score
shoot, if i had a v6 it would def have the m90 swap on it... thats sooo kick asss.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
shoot, if i had a v6 it would def have the m90 swap on it... thats sooo kick asss.

I can't wait to finish my project. The end of winter isn't coming soon enough.

The torque is going to be so awesome and then the blower whine :smitten:

1slosn95

Reaction score
i'd like to get that 4.4 stroker kit that supersix offers...that'd be :rockyou:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online