GT40 heads worth porting?

Kylebach14

Reaction score
I'm looking at some gt40 heads and I've found some for about 300 bucks and I've seen it can run 500 bucks to have a port job. I've found a couple that are already ported for 700 bucks. I've found some used performers for 1k and I believe the extra 300 would be totally worth it. Am I right?

32vNomad

Reaction score
Getting them off an explorer in a junk yard will save you cash

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII on MetroPCS

Kboss87

Reaction score
Yeah if you are going to spend 700 on Explorer GT40's, buy a good quality used aluminum head. Save weight and better flow.

Otherwise, an explorer "GT-40" setup would be the way to go if on a budget.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Found some performers for 750 assembled on CL so I think I may jump on those.

wildman97

Reaction score
Go aluminum and don't look back. The cost of the cost of the GT40's + port work + new springs = too much for iron heads for the performance you will get.

Do it once, do it right!

Mac65

Reaction score
I have a set of GT40 heads that I ported myself, I practiced on E7e before doing the GT40's. If you do your research on the forums there is plenty of photos and info out there to do a good job. I had a valve job done and new Comp springs. Very satisfied with the outcome.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I did the GT40 porting thing once. Wound up with almost $1k into them. Basically like taking $1k and lighting on fire honestly. No, they are not worth porting. They are ONLY worth it if you have a clean set you got for cheap and can just bolt on. I mean they are good heads for what they are, if you have a 93-95 Cobra with them you are light years ahead of a GT in rwhp and bolt on power gains but its not the same as a good set of aluminums. Not even close.

Now... as far as the performers... they are decent but they're pretty much a waste of money too. The only ones worth getting are the RPMs with the 2.02 intake valves and those will have issues clearing stock pistons. IMHO, if you have a 302 based motor and are looking for aluminum heads the CLEAR winner is the TFS Twisted Wedge heads. Yes AFRs are great too but the TFS make more power than the 165s without the potential clearance issues of the 185s and have the added benefit of being outstanding heads to work with from a porting perspective. There is a ton of "meat" on the TW 170s and they can be taken out by multiple shops to support even a 408 stroker no problem. Get the TW heads, get them once and never have to buy heads again unless you break them somehow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.