Gt40 heads

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
I'm gunna go grab some pull yard gt40 heads sometime this week. I was gunna have some home porting done (by a credible friend) not going to worry about bigger valves or anything like I did with my last set. Just curious if the stock valve springs are fine to use with a stock 5.0 cam.

Brought to you from a a land far far far very far veryy very far away

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd say probably not.
the exploders dont turn the rpm's that the mustangs can. springs are fairly cheap anyway.

RichV

Reaction score
Any GT40/p from a explorer, no. If you get them off a Cobra then yes.

The explorer cam is not worth anything over 5K rpm, either are the springs.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Any GT40/p from a explorer, no. If you get them off a Cobra then yes.

The explorer cam is not worth anything over 5K rpm, either are the springs.

I was thinking that when I was replying but a I assumed he was getting exploder heads.

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Yep explorer heads are a dimr a dozen around here. They can be had for $60 for the pair. And I figured id have to change them a bit.

Brought to you from a a land far far far very far veryy very far away

full force

Reaction score
Springs are most likely the same even though you would not think so...remember the 96-97 Explorers use the standard Motorsport gt-40 heads, not P heads

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I thought it was midway through 97 some of them had p heads depending which plant they came out of.

RichV

Reaction score
Springs are most likely the same even though you would not think so...remember the 96-97 Explorers use the standard Motorsport gt-40 heads, not P heads

They are absolutely not the same. Change them.

full force

Reaction score
Why wouldnt they be the same? think about it, they made the heads for the 93 Cobra, they will not just chage to a WEAKER spring just because, same as updating casting to the P series, just becasue the explorer does not rev as high, even though a stock 5.0 does bot either, ever put a stock engine on a dyno??? peaks around 4800-5000....now I have to research to see whos right, show me facts then I will believe ya...
They are absolutely not the same. Change them.

95RedGt

Reaction score
I tried running the stock gt40 3bar heads Of an explorer. I did get valve float. I since changed to tfs1 cam and spring kit.

full force

Reaction score
Did you just put heads on? Most stock springs are smoked anyway I would always put new springs on them chances are you bolted them right on not new springs

RichV

Reaction score
Why wouldnt they be the same? think about it, they made the heads for the 93 Cobra, they will not just chage to a WEAKER spring just because, same as updating casting to the P series, just becasue the explorer does not rev as high, even though a stock 5.0 does bot either, ever put a stock engine on a dyno??? peaks around 4800-5000....now I have to research to see whos right, show me facts then I will believe ya...

If you know your GT4 heads (3-bar) there are like 3 different variations, why is that?

95RedGt, a real experience. Same with many local friends, been doing GT40 heads probably before most of you guys were driving. I don't need to prove anything to you, don't believe me then. But this is how bad info gets circulated around the net. Real experience versus guesses.

I have personally never seen stock valve springs get tired. Specially on a Explorer that rarely lives past 3000rpm. If I was going GT40 3 or 4 bar out of an explorer, I would at minimum use the springs from the E7s.

full force

Reaction score
I'm new at this.... I'm 19 years old .... Not!! I am basically saying if you want any performance at all a smart person would spend the chump change springs cost and make sure there is no issues!!!! I been doing this over 25 years myself I know what I'm doing.... Nobody builds engines and just tosses whatever on them if they actually give a chit how it will run!!
If you know your GT4 heads (3-bar) there are like 3 different variations, why is that?

95RedGt, a real experience. Same with many local friends, been doing GT40 heads probably before most of you guys were driving. I don't need to prove anything to you, don't believe me then. But this is how bad info gets circulated around the net. Real experience versus guesses.

I have personally never seen stock valve springs get tired. Specially on a Explorer that rarely lives past 3000rpm. If I was going GT40 3 or 4 bar out of an explorer, I would at minimum use the springs from the E7s.

95RedGt

Reaction score
Yes i bolted the heads right on, i was new to the 5.0 world. I came from building alky, methanol gokart motors.

95RedGt

Reaction score
Between the cobra and the explorer. The valve spring part numbers are different.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
I would just get some 100 dollar springs if your using a bigger cam but if stock your all good man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online