GT40 Heads................

joe65

Reaction score
yeah still a good head. ported...with a gt40 intake and good cam....good torquey fun right there. watch for them on ebay or the corral. i see them often still.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Talking to a guy who has a new set straight from Ford Motorsports, he want's $575.00 and the are ready to bolt on? OR am I better off finding a set of "Core" heads and having my shop port/polish etc?

Last edited:

joe65

Reaction score
depends on what you want to spend your money on. an unused set is a good set. But if you're going to port them or mess with them at all seems to make sense to get a used set maybe cheaper? Never a bad idea tho to start with a fresh new set.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I can tell you what I know but if you Google, their is plenty more. The bars are a raised markings on the end of the heads , 1/4''x 1.25 '' approximal. The three bars came out first on mid 90's Explorers and maybe other Ford brands of the same years. The 4 bars came out somewhere around 97 for a few years. The 4 bars are just al little better, but I don't remember in what way, maybe different valve position, but they have a different spark plug angle and require the factory exhaust of that year. Some aftermarket header companies offer headers for the 4 bar. The earlier 3 bar version are just known as GT40 heads and the later 4 bar heads are known as GT40-P heads. All the headers made for the 302/5.0 Mustangs will fit the GT40 heads and the GT4O -p heads but if used on the "P" heads the spark plugs will be almost impossible to install and remove and if you can install them, the spark plug wire will be so close that it will melt. Most guys run the GT40 heads because of the spark plug issue with the P's but if you get the right headers, then they are fine. With what I have read, there isn't much advantage of running the GT40p head with so little horse power gain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online