Gt40 or Gt40p heads

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
I’m back again... so I’m about ready to start this project and I can not decide what heads to run ... gt40 seems easier maybe ? But I can not find a decent set anywhere But I can easily order a reman set of Gt40p....... so I have bbk equal length shortys. What are the problems I’m going to run into if I go with gt40p’s ??
Thank you

Road_Runna

Reaction score
Boot plugs for your spark plugs are the main concerns! You gotta run some 90° and 45°'s here and there. If you want to pass the emissions visual check; there is a great video by junk yard dogs which will show where and how to drill/tap your thermacture egr stuff.
Gt40p's flow better than normal 40's! But you won't have troubles using your favorite header or spark plugs with the normal gt40's.
Both sets of heads would need to be taken in to a shop for cleaning, valvegvalve inserts, springs and guides to be replaced. (After market springs are a must on both sets of heads), Alex'sparts.com could help you find the springs cheaper than other websites.
If your seriously thinking about getting gt40p's? Let me know, I've got a set somewhere in my garage, perhaps we can work out a deal.

sluggish94

Reaction score
I’m back again... so I’m about ready to start this project and I can not decide what heads to run ... gt40 seems easier maybe ? But I can not find a decent set anywhere But I can easily order a reman set of Gt40p....... so I have bbk equal length shortys. What are the problems I’m going to run into if I go with gt40p’s ??
Thank you

Didn't you get yourself some GT40s on August 15th already?

Said so in your other thread so I'm inclined to say if you have the 3 Bar GT40s already you can install those with less of a hassle than the P heads.

They go on exactly the same way as your stock e7s, simply remove and replace.

OP
OP
90foe_5.0

90foe_5.0

Reaction score
Didn't you get yourself some GT40s on August 15th already?

Said so in your other thread so I'm inclined to say if you have the 3 Bar GT40s already you can install those with less of a hassle than the P heads.

They go on exactly the same way as your stock e7s, simply remove and replace.

I did from the junkyard and one of them was cracked so now I’m debating again lol!

sluggish94

Reaction score
I did from the junkyard and one of them was cracked so now I’m debating again lol!

Dang, that sucks, but I guess its the risk of junkyard stuff.

To answer your question, and to be very direct, the differences on these two heads has been covered vastly and in depth since people started using them in the 90s. Here's an excerpt I found that is over ten years old researched and written by Kell Bean:

"When it comes down to making choices for your heads, it’s important to decide where you’re going, and what you need. The GT-40 Iron heads do sport some enhancements beyond the P’s. For a forced induction combination, the Iron’s do have a lower compression ratio, and in the case of more aggressive camshafts the Irons usually came with GT-40 valvetrain, good for about .520 lift while the stock P head springs only go to .500. If you were to use an XE series camshaft with a great deal of lift, the GT-40 Iron head would probably work better than the P head for pure, peak flow due to the more linear flow characteristics the Irons have continuing past .500. The added advantage is the GT-40 heads work with common headers, and the P heads require specific, and more expensive GT-40P headers in almost all cases. The GT-40P head; however, has it’s advantages too. A more efficient combustion chamber design delivers a better burn, a little more compression for more power in a N/A configuration, more peak flow at the valve lifts most combinations involving these heads will experience, and a superior area under the curve. By under the curve, I mean the flow rate viewed as a graph. If you take the horizontal X axis, and label it "Lift", and the vertical Y axis, and label it "Flow" plotting the flow curve out between the heads would be interesting to look at. It all adds up to a definite advantage for the P head in most applications."

GT-40P
Material: Cast Iron
Combustion Chamber: 59.0cc
Intake Valve: 1.84"
Exhaust Valve: 1.46"
Peak Flow Int.: [email protected]
Peak Flow Exh.: [email protected]
Stock Max Lift: .500"

GT-40 Iron
Material: Cast Iron
Combustion Chamber: 65.5cc
Intake Valve: 1.84"