Gt40 p heads

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Did you ever decide on a cam? The HO cam is actually pretty decent for a stock displacement mootor. You can squeeze a little more out of it with some 1.7 rockers and new valve springs. It's even a pretty good cam for boost, if you ever choose to add a vortech.

Any time you buy used heads, it's a good idea to change the valve springs. So I, personally, would take the money you would spend on a new cam, and put it towards 1.7 rockers/springs for whatever GT40 heads you end up getting.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

95opal

Reaction score
Dunno, I have a set of BBK Fox shortys and MAC SN shortys. 2 different h-pipes, the MACs were good but wouldn't work with GT40p heads. BBKs leaked with both h-pipes, both sides. Weird coincidence.

either a cheap h pipe or install error as fox shorties on an sn have been done millions of times over with no problems including myself with two different sns and two different fox headersd. I would check your install or buy a quality hpipe as there is no reason on earth why they woiuldnt work as I said the headers are identical

DavidBoren

Reaction score
The information regarding headers is nice, but it is not the topic of this discussion. It is good to know that fox body shorties have been mounted in the SN without a problem, but GT Rob is asking for help with heads, not headers. He had simply stated that the first set of heads he was looking at came with headers.

GT Rob, how is your search coming along? Did you pull the trigger on those cleaned GT40 heads?

95opal

Reaction score
The information regarding headers is nice, but it is not the topic of this discussion. It is good to know that fox body shorties have been mounted in the SN without a problem, but GT Rob is asking for help with heads, not headers. He had simply stated that the first set of heads he was looking at came with headers.

GT Rob, how is your search coming along? Did you pull the trigger on those cleaned GT40 heads?

Didnt realize the thread police were on patrol. My bad gtrob but as i stated earlier save a few more bucks and hit corral for a used set of tfs or afrs. Bottom line gt40 heads arent worth the time or money for there limited gains

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I didn't mean to come off as a topic-nazi. Sorry.

General consensus seems to be that a h/c/i swap isn't generally worth it on a five-oh. From everything I have heard and read, it's best to leave it stock except for exhaust and just add a vortech/injectors and be done with it.

But if your heads are trashed, and you are just trying to get it back on the road with something that is better than what was there, an assembled set of GT40 heads will do you just fine. You don't need springs and 1.7 rockers. You don't need to buy aluminum heads. If you just want a noticeable improvement in performance and to get your stang back on the road, grab some cheap GT40 heads and do it to it.

OP
OP
GT Rob

GT Rob

Reaction score
LOL ok guys made a decision going with the bear gt40 heads now what internals should I go with and I'm also looking at cams

DavidBoren

Reaction score
They are bare castings? Throw some stainless valves in them, a spring kit that can support .600" of lift, and some 1.7 rockers. If you have a few bucks left over, get the valves unshrouded and the exhaust ports opened up a bit.

I, personally, would put the money you planned on spending on a cam into getting the heads worked over, and just run the HO cam with 1.7 rockers.

gofastbobby

Reaction score
OK. I have been travelling down a similar path you have been. I ended up sourcing my gt40p heads/explorer intake from a used explorer engine. I sold the short block to recoup most of my cost. I now have $50 into the used heads/intake.

I have found these guys for springs and keepers, but wanted to ask the crowd if they've run into them before or would use them. price seems fair.

http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40p-drop-in-valve-springs-kit-hyd-roller-580-lift/

Anybody use Alex before?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online