GT40P heads, trickflow cam, 1.7's ?

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just found this forum. I've been lookin around alot for a answer that seems as if i cant get answered, this is like the 5th forum i'm on tryin to find this answer.
I'll lay it out flat.

Does anyone know if i'll be fine with valve to piston clearance with GT40P heads, and a trickflow stage 1 camshaft.
Anyone have this same setup ?
I need to get it done asap, summit gave me 1.7's instead of 1.6's, i dont really wanna go back and trade em in if i can get away with using these 1.7's.
The cam is .499/.510 with 1.6's and its .530/.541 with 1.7's.

By the way its goin on a 95 5.0 with stock pistons.

Thanks

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
the only way to be positive is checking it most likely. it wouldnt be good to assume it will be and then firing up the motor and doing major damage because it didnt have enough clearance.

wcngt

Reaction score
I have that set up on my 95 minus the 1.7 rockers. They are going to raise your lift by about .030 which I believe will cause some problems. Every engine has different tolerances, best way to know is to check your clearances. But the quick answer is no it most likely wont work but most likely it will with 1.6 rockers.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
They arent aluminum, theyre cast. They make good power for cheap, and they wont warp.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
wcngt, what intake are you using ? What kindof power you gettin out that setup ?

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
I know a guy that has the an E cam with the same heads and 1.7's and he clears everything. The only thing is, that cam is a tad bit smaller, and that might break me there. its .498/.498, so with thsoe 1.7's he'd be at .529/.529 and with my cam and 1.7's ill be at .530/.541.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Sorry if you already know this but just want to give you a heads up if ya didn't...you'll need to grab different valve covers and possibly a intake spacer for the 1:7's.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
Nah, i didnt know that. That guy i know is usin his stock vavle covers, he just took out the baffle. But they are the cobra 1.7's, but i think crane makes em now.
Another guy on another forum also has 1.7 energizers and they clear, but theyre on a fox body, and i think the foxes have a slightly taller valve cover, noone was really possitive on that tho.
I sure hope i dont have to get new valve covers, that would be highly dissapointing, this budget build isnt so much in my budget anymore. Its alooot more than i thought it would be.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Ninety5Five0 said:
Nah, i didnt know that. That guy i know is usin his stock vavle covers, he just took out the baffle. But they are the cobra 1.7's, but i think crane makes em now.
Another guy on another forum also has 1.7 energizers and they clear, but theyre on a fox body, and i think the foxes have a slightly taller valve cover, noone was really possitive on that tho.
I sure hope i dont have to get new valve covers, that would be highly dissapointing, this budget build isnt so much in my budget anymore. Its alooot more than i thought it would be.
Haha yea thats how it goes, a little money here a little there..etc etc. The cobras might clear but I'm not sure, I know my Probe & TrickFlows didn't. Good luck.

wytstang

Reaction score
You should be fine with that cam, but you should always check. Also don't focus to much on lift as piston to valve clearance has to do more with cam duration (to a point). If the valves are closing before and after the piston comes up then down there will be no P2V clearance issues (again to a point).

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
wytstang said:
You should be fine with that cam, but you should always check. Also don't focus to much on lift as piston to valve clearance has to do more with cam duration (to a point). If the valves are closing before and after the piston comes up then down there will be no P2V clearance issues (again to a point).

yep ALWAYS check it........that's just good mechanic habits

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
I'm just gonna take those 1.7's back and get that crane conversion kit and get some comp cams roller tip rockers. The rockers are only 146 $ and i think the kit is pretty cheap too.
So i will be fine with my valve covers with 1.6's right ?

wcngt

Reaction score
Well Im using a 93 cobra intake and the car is converted to a fox throttle body setup. Basically I took the motor out of my 88 gt and put it in the 95. I ran 13.3 at 103 in the 88 with 4.10s and a 2500 stall converter. Im not sure of how much power im making. The head are untouched other than the trick flow spring package.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5Five0

Reaction score
^ your using 1.6's right ? I talked to the people at summit today, they have that conversion kit and the right rockers. i'm gonna make a trip back there tomorrow and trade in those rockers they gave me for that. I'm not too far away, just need to put in the lifters, pushrods and rockers, and i'll be pretty damn close to done. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post up when i'm done and post my dyno sheet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online