GTS owners come on in!

thorco3

Reaction score
hmm, well, they were available with any number of options but that one is questionable. What is the rest of his interior like. Does he have cloth seats? wingless, fogs, leather wrapped steering wheel?

94stangs

Reaction score
I own a 94 GT and 96 248a option mustang. I purchased the 96 in 04 as a parts car as it had been stolen 3 times and hit just as many times. To let you know how bad it was the front body panels were being held in place by rope. Anyways, curosity got the best of me and I discovered it was a 248a option car but to make it even more mysterious the body tag and the door tag do not match. I am trying to restore the car back to it's former glory with the performance goodies it had when I purchased it but I am trying to find out if it had a spoiler or not because the trunk had been disegrated by a import wing (long since removed). It was crystal white with 3.27 rear which I didn't realize Ford put in 5spd mustangs. I think it's sad that some say a 248a option car is not a true GTS when it was basically the same package. You know how Ford likes to save money and by cutting marketing cost on the GTS brand name it saves them more money, hence dropping the brand but the package continues. I beleive that from 95 to 98 all 248a option mustangs were GTSs' because I have seen build sheets from a 95 and a 97 and both said GTS on the sheet, at bottom if I remember correctly. For all those who think these cars are not worth that much, think again as history is the best predictor. Take a look at the COPO camaro, the ZL-1 camaro or even the infamous superbird which sucked on sales floors everywhere. Rarely heard of at the time or desired but now people fall all over themselves to get one paying 6 figures for some. The couple of I have driven the 96 (motor is stock) it ran cirlces around my 94 and the 94 has cam, cobra computer, 24# injectors, ported/polished intake, 3.55's, flos, BBk air intake, and has been reprogrammed to optimize the combination. There needs to be a registry for these cars. :rice:

thorco3

Reaction score
Well, I agree with you on a few things... but disagree on a few others. First of all I would never refer to any 248a option car as a GTS, because it simply is not a GTS. GTS's were only made in 95. Instead I would refer to the car as a GT 248a which is what the car actually is, and then add that it is basically the same thing as a GTS. A registry would be very cool though, but very difficult if not impossible. There was really no clear cut item that marked a car as a GTS. No special vin number, hidden tag/plaque, etc. The only thing that makes a car a GTS is the number of things that add up to make it a GTS, such as, no wing, no fogs, cloth interiors, manual windows/locks, unlighted visor, v6 steering wheel, 3.08 gears, waffle wheels, and so on. I'm sure many GTS's have been retired or sent to the crusher by now as well... :'(

thorco3

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
ok I just looked it up in my ford specs and gts is only a 95. It is a base model v6 car with a v8 in it.

day late and a dollar short, eh...

94stangs

Reaction score
I won't argue the 248a being a GTS because truly it wasn't marketed as a GTS. That is just what the build sheets said. As far as how to tell a true GTS and 248a mustang, I may have a way I am not sure. The one sure thing is that ABS is deleted but as I said earlier my 96 right now is undergoing a major rebuild to bring it back to it's former glory, anywyays with the entire front clip removed I found the body ID tag which was located behind the drivers side headlight on the core support. It stated that the car was a GT2 with spoiler, but when you go to the door tag it states it was a GT no spoiler mentioned. I have verified the sticker is authentic for car so it was put on when the car was built. Door tags are put on after the manufacture and Body ID are put on sometime when the body goes to paint which is at beginning of the manufacturing process. I checked to see if there were matching tags on my 94 and they were matching. My question now would be was the same thing done on all 248a and GTS mustangs or is mine just a fluke? I also noticed that the trim on the door panels that usually houses the power wdws and locks besides not having any power does come with the provision underneath the plastic just in case some decides to option them on. it is plastic housing that is soldered to the underside of the panel and hold the buttons in place.

94stangs

Reaction score
By the way is there any reason why someone would powder coat what appears to be a stock bellhousing Ford blue? I just saw the Tremec bellhousing and it looks similar so I am going to chaeck closer but if I remember correctly it was just a stock tranny. Sorry for not having more accurate info. but this car was severly trashed when I got it. The motor is rock solid though.

thorco3

Reaction score
hey ylw95gts I just looked at the picture you posted again and noticed that the car has power windows/locks. Is that a picture of your car, and does it have power windows and locks? Did you swap doors or did your GTS have these options? just curious.

ylw95gts

Reaction score
thorco3 said:
hey ylw95gts I just looked at the picture you posted again and noticed that the car has power windows/locks. Is that a picture of your car, and does it have power windows and locks? Did you swap doors or did your GTS have these options? just curious.

No my car car had that option package.

conshyboy

Reaction score
this helped me find out my car is 1995 GTS, i have 6J int. trim # on drivers side door jam sticker .check out this site
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database2/1995.php . Its an AODE with 3.27 lsd rear ,no abs. Here is info from my drivers door jam sticker, if some one is trying to form a data base
build date -03/95, Body-GT2, VR-blank, Mldg-blank, Int.trim-6J, Tape-blank, R-M, S-blank, AX-E, TR-PJH55,. Paint.-UA
vin#-1FALP42T5SF2186**, Only options It has are 3 post rear spoiler, cruise control , remote trunk release , power drivers seat , am/fm cass. and power windows and locks.

thorco3

Reaction score
conshyboy said:
this helped me find out my car is 1995 GTS, i have 6J int. trim # on drivers side door jam sticker .check out this site
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database2/1995.php . Its an AODE with 3.27 lsd rear ,no abs. Here is info from my drivers door jam sticker, if some one is trying to form a data base
build date -03/95, Body-GT2, VR-blank, Mldg-blank, Int.trim-6J, Tape-blank, R-M, S-blank, AX-E, TR-PJH55,. Paint.-UA
vin#-1FALP42T5SF2186**, Only options It has are 3 post rear spoiler, cruise control , remote trunk release , power drivers seat , am/fm cass. and power windows and locks.

That would be awesome if someone were to put together a GTS database or registry or something... but that would probably be a huge undertaking.

post up some pics of your GTS though and welcome to the boards.

conshyboy

Reaction score
Does anybody else have this rear spoiler on there GTS? I read online somewhere that a 1000 of these were supposed to go on a special 95 mustang ,but that car was never built, so they put them on some GTS cars instead .I don't know if that is true or not . thanks , here is a pic .

[attachment deleted by admin]

thorco3

Reaction score
I've only seen that wing on a couple of v6 cars... It is very possible that it could have been installed by the dealership or something. you won't see that wing very often though, which in my opion, is a good thing. I just think they are really cheapo looking.

conshyboy

Reaction score
I like the fact their isn't that many of those style rear spoiler's, and still would like to see another pic of one [ I been looking at so many 95 photos online and still haven't seen another one ] . I bought car for the drivetrain, but after doing some research, i find out it's 1 of about 1600 cars made this way in 1995 [GTS,auto,3.27 lsd] so i decided to fix it . I know i didn't hit the jackpot with this car but i always loved cars that are different. I'll still be searching for more info on my car. thanks throco3 for your reply and any other info you have

thorco3

Reaction score
conshyboy said:
I like the fact their isn't that many of those style rear spoiler's, and still would like to see another pic of one [ I been looking at so many 95 photos online and still haven't seen another one ] . I bought car for the drivetrain, but after doing some research, i find out it's 1 of about 1600 cars made this way in 1995 [GTS,auto,3.27 lsd] so i decided to fix it . I know i didn't hit the jackpot with this car but i always loved cars that are different. I'll still be searching for more info on my car. thanks throco3 for your reply and any other info you have

I've never heard of them just being on 95's and i'm pretty sure the couple I've seen in person were on 96-98 v6's. I work with a guy that has that exact wing I'll ask what year his car is.

Your car would be the first I've ever heard of that had anything other than 3.08's in the rear though... it has been my understanding they all came with 3.08's There is a chance they were swapped out but who would bother replacing gears and going from 3.08 to 3.27s.
oh and if you haven't checked out that quannet site be sure to that is the best GTS info site i've ever come acrossed.

if you ever find any more info on GTS's be sure to post it up, I've looked a lot in the past but there isn't much out there from what I found. I just scanned through this thread and realized that I haven't posted up the couple of links that I have on GTS stuff (I'll post them up when I get back to my own computer)

conshyboy

Reaction score
The axle code letter is E [3.27 lsd] on my drivers side door jam sticker or does it mean gt 5.0 215 hp ,i'm not real sure yet .Hey thorco3 if you would post some new info or sites, that would be great , i always find time to do some research . If i find some more info i will post it here. thanks heres one if you don't have it .http://web.tampabay.rr.com/theflock/mustang/doorplate.html#ax heres where i got axle info .http://www.quannet.org/corey/gtsinfo.html
http://www.yellowmustangregistry.com/Production95.html
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database2/1995.php
http://www.mustangheaven.com/Production Numbers/sn95nums.htm

thorco3

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online