Guess Im old or something

kb1982

Reaction score
Recieved a recall for my car today that just made me wonder. Apparently the elctro power assist steering could fail and cause loss of control resulting in injury or death. I was thinking, no power steering, big deal. Ive owned several small pickups that didnt come with power steering. Heck, Ive owned a few cars without power brakes even. I guess the majority of younger drivers have grown accustomed to features such as power streering, power brakes, abs, and other features that are now standard on all cars, and never had the experience to drive vehicles without them.

joser714

Reaction score
Driving a car with no power steering sucks. I tried parallel parking a 1992? Honda accord and it took forever and my current mustang has no abs (traction control) so if I slam on the brakes I go sliding lol

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Which car got recalled?
Not having power steering isn't really an issue if you're moving. But if your power steering stopped working suddenly I suppose you could lose control? I think you'd definitely notice it. Any failure of controls isn't good.

Power brakes aren't fun to lose.

My mustang doesn't have abs. Have only locked them up a couple times for a a second. Not a big issue.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've driven vehicles without each. My mom's 1986 ranger doesn't have power steering and I've driven it plenty of times. It's not bad unless you're turning from a dead stop, but even then, it's really no big deal. I've had brake assist go out on me before. I've popped wheel cylinders while 100+ miles away from home and lost all the fluid. Shit happens. People these days are just sissies.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
I can see where it would be a bit distressing, but having been around the block a few times I have driven older vehicles with arm-strong steering, and it is not a huge deal to manage. I can see where it would be a surprise to someone who was not used to it, but I cannot figure out how it can be like loosing steering in a plane, you are not (should not) going to plummet to your death if you know what you are doing.

I recall in my early years I drove truck for my dad. I had an early 80's 376 long nose Pete that lost power steering going down the highway, now that is arm-strong steering:challenge:!

OP
OP
kb1982

kb1982

Reaction score
Which car got recalled?
Not having power steering isn't really an issue if you're moving. But if your power steering stopped working suddenly I suppose you could lose control? I think you'd definitely notice it. Any failure of controls isn't good.

Power brakes aren't fun to lose.

My mustang doesn't have abs. Have only locked them up a couple times for a a second. Not a big issue.

Its amy 05 Saturn Ion that got recalled, but it carries over to different models such as the Cobalt. It acutally has a recall for the ignition switch also. Apparently, if your key ring is loaded with keys, it could turn the car of while driving lol.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That reminds me... Should make sure my gf's family knows about the recalls. Her brother has a cobalt and her mom has an aura.

Maybe now I can convince them to switch to the good ol blue oval.
Pretty disappointing that GM engineers knew about the problems from the start...

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I wonder how much the hardware factors in.... now the power steering is basically standard on cars.... and electronic assist is there. What the ratios are and stuff.....I lost power steering in my f150 it sucked but it was safe regardless

The D3V

Mack

Reaction score
My daily driver is a small 2001 Ford Fiesta without power steering. I live in the big city, parallel parking is daily business in the street where I live.

No power steering, wind-down windows, no airco... Real spirit of driving!

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I thought I heard that GM is getting sued or fined or something for using cheap parts and knowing about it that cause the steering and ignition failure in their cars.
I heard it though word of mouth though haven't seen it anywhere online or on the news.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought I heard that GM is getting sued or fined or something for using cheap parts and knowing about it that cause the steering and ignition failure in their cars.
I heard it though word of mouth though haven't seen it anywhere online or on the news.

Just watch the news. It's all over it.
[h=1]GM Faulty Ignition Recall[/h]Issue: Faulty ignition switch, loss of power
A defect in 1.4 million GM cars sold in the U.S could cause the car's engine and electrical system to shut off, and disable the air bags. For a decade GM and government safety regulators reportedly failed to address this defect, which has been implicated in the deaths of over 300 people in crashes where the front air bags did not deploy.
It has been reported that GM could have fixed the defective switch for as little as 57 cents per vehicle.
[h=2]GM Chevy Cobalt, Pontiac G5 and Saturn Ignition Switch Recall[/h]In January 2014, GM recalled about 619,000 vehicles in the U.S., including Chevrolet Cobalts made from the 2005-7 model years and 2007 Pontiac G5 models. In February 2014, GM added its 2003-7 Saturn Ions, 2006-7 Chevrolet HHRs and 2006-7 Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky models to the recall. These recalls were all based on the faulty ignition switch.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Just watch the news. It's all over it.
[h=1]GM Faulty Ignition Recall[/h]Issue: Faulty ignition switch, loss of power
A defect in 1.4 million GM cars sold in the U.S could cause the car's engine and electrical system to shut off, and disable the air bags. For a decade GM and government safety regulators reportedly failed to address this defect, which has been implicated in the deaths of over 300 people in crashes where the front air bags did not deploy.
It has been reported that GM could have fixed the defective switch for as little as 57 cents per vehicle.
[h=2]GM Chevy Cobalt, Pontiac G5 and Saturn Ignition Switch Recall[/h]In January 2014, GM recalled about 619,000 vehicles in the U.S., including Chevrolet Cobalts made from the 2005-7 model years and 2007 Pontiac G5 models. In February 2014, GM added its 2003-7 Saturn Ions, 2006-7 Chevrolet HHRs and 2006-7 Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky models to the recall. These recalls were all based on the faulty ignition switch.

1,400,000 x 0.57 = 798,000
So apparently $798,000 > 300 people's lives????

****ing GM.

I didn't see it on the news because I rarely watch it much. There's not one network I don't have a problem with. Lol.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
My daily driver is a small 2001 Ford Fiesta without power steering. I live in the big city, parallel parking is daily business in the street where I live.

No power steering, wind-down windows, no airco... Real spirit of driving!

I drive an toyota pick-up with 31x10.5x15 tires when I'm not in the mustang.
I had a pulley bearing go out and I drove the truck without power steering for about a week. AS long as I was going straight it was no problem. Get in a parking lot and the steering is completely different. The truck also has crank windows, no a/c.
I can say it is different to drive a car that has broken p/s and a car that has manual steering..

I do know some of the new car don't actually have a cable going to the throttle like ours do. I'm wondering the the steering is far behind. Airplanes have been "fly by wire" for quite a while.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I drive an toyota pick-up with 31x10.5x15 tires when I'm not in the mustang.
I had a pulley bearing go out and I drove the truck without power steering for about a week. AS long as I was going straight it was no problem. Get in a parking lot and the steering is completely different. The truck also has crank windows, no a/c.
I can say it is different to drive a car that has broken p/s and a car that has manual steering..

I do know some of the new car don't actually have a cable going to the throttle like ours do. I'm wondering the the steering is far behind. Airplanes have been "fly by wire" for quite a while.
Good thing is these little trucks are just that, little, so they aren't too heavy to maneuver without power steering. I bought mine with no power steering option, but I added the system about a year after ownership. It also had no AC, but I added that as well after a year here in this nasty AZ heat. Crank windows here too of course.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My dads ram van likes to lose power steering every now and than. Turning that big heavy ****ing thing with no p/s is really annoying.

canadiantbone

Reaction score
Had a 64 pontiac acadian/beaumont daily driver . no power anything with 4 wheel drum brakes . Loved driving that car right till a guy offered me stupid money for it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online