Guys with BUILT CARS

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
I've always wondered when you really put a lot of money into your motor for performance parts and then it becomes emissions illegal what do you guys do to get by emissions?

95-stang

Reaction score
Something that always puzzles me to. :)

Our laws are not as strict, but all cars after 1991 have to pass a cat test amongst all the other tests. Having removed the cats last month, i have since tested it and although its low emissions, it will not now pass the test again next Feb.
Now my friends the tester, and he says he will pass it without making me refit the cats next year, so does everyone have a good friend at the test station ??? ;)

Suspect

Reaction score
;) yup make friends with the emmissions person.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Fully built cars can still pass emissions if you build them right.

My old 418 ci motor flew through the sniffer with the factory cats and the smog pump hooked up.

The new 422 is a little more rowdy, and I'm having trouble. However, I'm confident that it will get through eventually once I get a good emissions calibration in the AEM.

I've seen cars with ridiculous camshafts and huge heads pass emissions.

Also, in AZ - if your car is 15 years old and insured as a collectible, you don't have to pass emissions. My silver is almost there!

Paul.

ryclef331

Reaction score
no friends here. NC is all visual inspection now for 95 and earlier and I have ZERO problems getting inspected...without knowing anyone. Most people just want to know more about the car. One shop told me "I'll pass you, but you gotta lay it on the mat when you leave here." I obliged.

OP
OP

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
^ Rofl thats awesome. I also heard that if your car is low enough that they can't make you put it on the rollers. My car has eibach sport lines and sits damn low.

9psi 98

Reaction score
Maryland is kind of a pain in the rear. All they do to my car is hook it up to a computer and see if it has turned on the check engine light recently. I've heard that with MIL eliminators, even my car will make it through. They just haven't drawn my lucky number to bring it in yet. If you fail in this state, you can provide reciepts that show you've spend I believe it's $450 trying to fix the problem (the price for just about any x-pipe w/high flow cats) and they'll give you a waiver so you don't have to do it anymore.... This is the road that I'm taking if I fail even with the catted x-pipe.

Suspect

Reaction score
Jasperstang308 said:
emissions whats that? no such thing here. No cats no smog no egr no nothing

lucky. mines coming up here shortly. im sure ill pass, have the last 2 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.