H pipe vs. X pipe

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
finally got the money to do my exhaust.
getting slp LM's regardless of which route ill go.
whats the pros/cons of either?
im going with the o/r's more than likely

96gt226410

Reaction score
It's all personal opinion. Listen to clips of both. It's the only way you'll make a decision you know you'll be happy with. I can tell you that the H-Pipe is louder and souinds better while cruising and idling and the X-Pipe is more raspy and flows and sounds better at higher RPM's. I, personally, like the sound of my O/R H-Pipe.

FST-HUH

Reaction score
In my opinion GT = H-PIPE Cobra's(SVT) = X-PIPE. I am not the one to talk I have L/T headers w/shorty O/R h-pipe on my saleen and my girl has L/T headers w/ O/R x pipe on her 02 GT. They both sound good only x-pipe is more raspy while h-pipe has more deep rumble to it, especially with flowmasters 2 chamber 40's.

FST-HUH

Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
FST-HUH... Your car is sexy as hell.

Thanks man,

One more thing either way plan to spend another $50-60 on MIL eliminators. Get the plug in ones and not the splice in kind (cheap $15 ones) "u live u learn" LOL.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I would do the xpipe personally. I want a xpipe myself. Sooner or later i will have a o/r hpipe/xpipe and catted h mac hpipe lol. GOod to change up the sound a bit. :dancing6:

jpajkos

Reaction score
I have an off road x pipe. Yes it is raspy. You will like the x pipe with a str8 through muffler such and a SLP loudmouth. Chambered mufflers such as flowmaster and MAC's sound better with an H pipe. I have the super 40 cat back with x pipe and it sounds very mean. The flow pattern on a x pipe is alot better as well. H pipes are your classic muscle car sound while an x pipe isn't. My vote goes for the x pipe w/ your loud mouth cat back.

STNG_96

Reaction score
As previously stated, its all opinion, I had an off road X-pipe on my 96 for several years, coupled to some magnapacks. It sounded good, and it deffinately flows best at wot. One pipe that no one has mentioned, and that I now have is a mac prochamber. I put that thing on, and love it!! The car sounds great, a little more deep, no so much rasp, but it still flows great all around. Look into the MAC prochamber too, I dont think I have ever heard a bad review

ALITL8

Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
FST-HUH... Your car is sexy as hell.

+1

damn dude, that car is fine... even if it is red :santa_cheesy:

edit:// oh yea... lost my train of thought lookin at FST-HUH's car!!!

i like the h-pipe... i think they sound the best on the 2V motor :santa_afro:

jpajkos

Reaction score
Go with the X pipe slap those SLP's on. Your car will sound like thunder!!!!

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
yeah that was the origonal plan...
but ive never heard an H with SLP's...so i wonder what itll
sound like

jpajkos

Reaction score
Stick to the original plan DAMMIT!!!! Don't loose focus!!!! See thats how come us guys get into trouble we don't stick to the original plan. For example the original plan for that girl at the bar was to take her home have awesome sex then forget all about it.... BUTTTTT NOOOOOO we didn't stick to the "ORIGINAL PLAN" and ended up marrying the GIRL!!!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
SLP's sound way better with an x in my opinion. I have heard both. X pipe = Angry while h pipe = :puke:

281powered

Reaction score
another one for the X, it sounds awsome on the 4.6.
IMO for the best sounding results
4.6 = X pipe with straight through styled exhuast
5.0 = H pipe with chamberd styled exhuast

just my 2 cents :rolleyes2:

ogbatman

Reaction score
Xpipe with SLP LM1's will make a very loud poping sound. Ur car will pop more than a popcorn machine. Hey but some people like it. :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online