H-Pipe with cats?

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
Ive had my o/r h-pipe on for a couple months now, and it gets pretty loud when I get on it a little.
My question is- How quiet will it be if I add 2 cats (1 per side)?
I don't want to make it sound too quiet, but be able to talk to my wife @ 65-70 mph. That and I get alot of attention when Im hittin 3000 rpm in town.

I have weld-in flowmasters now, they were on the car when I bought it and they look pretty old. So I am planning on getting the Mac c/b soon.
You think maybe the mufflers are shot?

One more question, How do catted h-pipes sound at idle?
I love the way my car sounds now at idle.... :laugh:

ALITL8

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:
Ive had my o/r h-pipe on for a couple months now, and it gets pretty loud when I get on it a little.
My question is- How quiet will it be if I add 2 cats (1 per side)?
I don't want to make it sound too quiet, but be able to talk to my wife @ 65-70 mph. That and I get alot of attention when Im hittin 3000 rpm in town.

I have weld-in flowmasters now, they were on the car when I bought it and they look pretty old. So I am planning on getting the Mac c/b soon.
You think maybe the mufflers are shot?

One more question, How do catted h-pipes sound at idle?
I love the way my car sounds now at idle.... :laugh:

i dont know about how much the sound will be deadened by adding 2 cats. do you know what kind of mufflers you have? maybe you just need to switch to a quieter muffler :dunno:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get an answer for that specific question.
but cats act as resinantors, and make a bit quieter.
If you're replacing existing cats, I'd think you wouldnt get much sound difference.
Dunno for sure, haven't done it.

beyond that, quieter mufflers, like Alitl8 said.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
You will definitley get more noise with a catted h over your stock h, but it will no be as loud as you o/r h. I have the Bassani X-with cats and magnaflow catbacks. I can hold a conversation at cruising speed and when the rpm's hit 3k it gets pretty loud. at wot, it sounds wicked under boost!!!! I went with the catted x for two reasons. first, I did not want it too loud in the car while cruising. second, I did no want to lose to much torque in the lower RPM's. I say go with the hig flow cats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online