H-PIPE

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys.. well im thinking tomorrow that im going to go pick up a MAC o/r hpipe at either dallas mustang (local) or lonestar performance (also local and great prices).. how do you guys like the MAC hpipes? how the fitment and the sound?

also, i have stock headers right now, but i want to upgrade to long tubes. i have no clue what hpipe i need and if they will fit with the stock and the long tubes once i get them upgraded. please let me know asap guys because im buying it tomorrow!

ART! : how much do you sell your hpipes for? either post here or pm me and let me know! thanks!

edit :: http://www.lonestarperformance.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=658&cat=90&page=1 - that is most likely what im buying if they will fit the stock headers and some long tubes once i get them upgraded.

edit x2 :: nvm i think i found my answer, cjponyparts FAQ said that the regular off road hpipes will fit stock and shorty headers. I guess ill just buy shorty headers so i dont have to deal with fitment issues with the long tubes and the hassles of them. are shorty headers still good? as far as hp gains (i know they have smaller gains than a LT header) and mainly the ease of installation/fitment?

Reaction score
If you are thinking about upgrading to longtubes and are going to do it soon do not waste your money on the Hpipe because you would have to buy a different one for the longtubes.If you plan on doing the longtubes in like a year or so than buy the Hpipe and put in on but you also may want to think about an offroad Xpipe which will give you about 3-5 more hp than the Hpipe.Either the H or the X I can get you for $150.00 shipped to your door

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey art, thanks for the quote and information. im actually going to just get some shorty headers later down the road because im afraid of clearance issues and ive done more reading on the longtubes and i hear they are a pain to take out if need be. im not really hear for numbers, i just want a awesome looking streetable car that is quick but not a priority. i like the sound of h's over x's. thanks again, ill be picking up my Mac o/r hpipe tomorrow and installing it probably friday because im gettin my inspection done tomorrow and my suspension put on. but.. once my check goes through, ill be sending you the money for the headlights. thanks again.

also, i am correct on the mac o/r hpipe fitting stock headers and shorties w/ no mods correct?

ALITL8

Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
also, i am correct on the mac o/r hpipe fitting stock headers and shorties w/ no mods correct?

thats correct. just remove factory h pipe and install the aftermarket. if the aftermarket is catless (which i doubt, you being in Texas) you will need MIL eliminators. its a pretty simple swap and "can" be done on jackstands or ramps with basic hand tools and long extensions.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
awesome.. i actually cant decide right now! I could buy longtubes today after work or until my check goes in my bank acct and then next week, an hpipe that will fit them.. or i can buy a hpipe and shorty headers right now.. what should i do?? my car will be lowered 2" this weekend so ne clearance issues on the LT's you guys think? please respond quick because im buying all of this at about 5pm today (central)... thanks again!

d_punch

Reaction score
IMO if your going to do it yourself, i would go with the shorty headers, with the o/r pipe.

if you have the money to pay a shop to do it you can go either way.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
d_punch said:
IMO if your going to do it yourself, i would go with the shorty headers, with the o/r pipe.

if you have the money to pay a shop to do it you can go either way.

yeah i just went ahead and bought a mac o/r hpipe today after work. im going to stick with stock headers.. they said they would install the headers for a "cheap" 450 but no way.. add 400 for the headers themselves and im up to 850.. screw that. i can stay with stock headers, they dont bother me that bad.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
not to rag on ethier of those shops man, but i need to get ya on the HPP band wagon. www.hppracing.com they are an amazing group of guys. i would not buy anything major without them, and i REFUSE to let anyone work on my car but them.

d_punch

Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
yeah i just went ahead and bought a mac o/r hpipe today after work. im going to stick with stock headers.. they said they would install the headers for a "cheap" 450 but no way.. add 400 for the headers themselves and im up to 850.. screw that. i can stay with stock headers, they dont bother me that bad.

once you hear the sound difference with just the o/r h-pipe, it only gets crazier with headers.
and thats is way to much to install a set of shorty headers. i didn't install mine, but the gentleman who did my head, cam swap did for me while he was in there. he said it wasn't that bad at all. i think he said the driver side took a little longer. seems to be a tighter fit and then you have the dipstick there too. you should be able to do them yourself.

later
joe

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
aight paul, ill give that a try next time. thanks for the info.

and the only reason i didnt go for headers is because of the price. i need to slow down on the mods and start saving a little money. in one month, ive spent 2000 on my car. which is basically every penny i have made this summer. ill get 'er dun soon though. thanks for the info guys. i want to get a sound cliip of it so you guys can here it. i might see if i can go out and get a nice camera, maybe that will be the last thing i buy.. thanks again guys! ill let you know mroe info on the mac after its installed!

edit :: i think ill be up at your car show next thursday paul, ill have to see. but im pretty sure im going.

Iceman12

Reaction score
Better late than never i guess, I didn't read this till just now. I have a 97 Cobra with the same Mac O/R H-pipe u got. I installed it myself in the driveway. Aside form a couple stubborn nuts on the passenger side factory header, It wasn't too bad, but it did take longer than expected. Also, i highly suggest the MIL eliminators or a re-tune. For a couple weeks my MIL light kept turning off and on even with the MIL eliminators and I can tell you if u didn't already know, that 4V engine runs like crap in limp mode. Mine ran so rich u could smell the gas coming out the back of the car at every stop light, idled a lil rough and made NO torque, (like so little it felt like it wanted to stall just driving normally). But after about a week the computer gets used to the pipes, the MIL doesn't stay on as often, (after some observation, high humidity days tended to turn it on, while a cool dry night would turn it off everytime), u will feel your torque come back and more. Makes noticeably more power up top too, but now i find myself needing a CAI because u can feel it fall off about bad at about 6k. So CAI and re-tune are next on my list. The only other thing I have to say about the pipes, is be prepared for some noise. In my case, I'm running Flowmasters, so my car got LOUD. Not sure about yours though, I forgot to read your mods before typing this. O well, hope this was a lil bit of help to ya, sorry for the long post, i tend to ramble. 8)

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Are there any consequences to having an H Pipe installed without the MIL eliminators? Can they be installed later? I have the Mac O/R H so which side does the gasket ans metal coupling go on?

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
I love my O/R H-Pipe. And I live in Houston ( emmission test Co.) with no probs.

As for the MIL's you will need them to turn off your engine light, but it wont affect they way the car runs.
And the gasket goes on the right side( pass. side ).

Enjoy your new sound.... :thumb:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
well i cant put my hpipe on because it has to be welded onto my mufflers.. i had them welded onto my stock hpipe so i dont have ne thing to mount them too. umm i did buy the MIL eliminators so when i get it installed, ill put them on. thanks for all of that info iceman, you werent rambling, you were teachin me a few things so thanks to that.

yeah ive gotten my car up to 6k once and i thought i hit the rev limiter or something because my car just stoppped going, felt like when you stay in first and get the rpms up and let off, my car just rocked straight forwards. so maybe i need a CAI?.. so no loud noise right now butttt me and my dad are doing the front springs and cc plates today (last nite we ran outa daylight so the back was only lowered).. ill post pics up when finished. Ill have to go to a car wash to wash my car, dallas has a new law that you cant use the water outside your house unless its saturday because we have a water shortage.. so yippeee. thanks again guys!

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what tools are needed for an H Pipe install? What size and how many swivels? I'm going to buy the tool tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online