Hard to engage gears.

J_lope82

Reaction score
96 mustang gt with original 5 speed manual trans. It does have a after market clutch and a aftermarket shifter. It has original cable and quadrant. The problem is I usually have to use greater force to get into 1st and reverse from a stop. Every now and then reverse will grind. Once I get rolling it takes less force to engage all other gears. I already pulled back on the clutch pedal to see if I can remove some slack on the cable and I think I was able to engage another tooth on the quadrant but it’s still the same. Any advice on what to start checking or where my problem could be?

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I adjusted the oem quadrant and it clicked a couple of times. My pedal is about 5 lbs lighter and gears are easier to engage but still have a little bit of an issue engaging reverse. Should I adjust the quadrant a couple more clicks or is it the transmission forks or something else that’s the problem?

07GtS197

Reaction score
T45s have an unsynchronized reverse. What I do to help is put it in 1st then reverse.

I still stand by the quadrant and firewall adjuster but it wouldn’t hurt to try adjusting it another tooth.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I just checked the gap between the tob and the pressure plate there is not much, very little. I’m worried if I do another tooth the tob will be riding the pressure plate always.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
This car came with a aftermarket shifter. I pull the boot cover and can’t tell what brand it is. It has a black base and then it’s all like chrome moly and a blue handle. There is no information on it. Just throwing it out there for FYI.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Reverse always sucks in a t45. Going to another gear normally helps reverse. Most of the time I go up to 5th, then straight back to reverse.

07gt is right about that firewall adjuster and quadrant though. They are much better than the stock setup.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
So what I’m getting is that getting into reverse is hard is normal on these transmissions. Now that I remember my other mustangs were the same. I’ve had two fox body mustangs before this one.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So what I’m getting is that getting into reverse is hard is normal on these transmissions. Now that I remember my other mustangs were the same. I’ve had two fox body mustangs before this one.
That’s it.
You could also try synchromesh oil. It helps with the rest of the gears, not really reverse though.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
So do I need to drain out the trans oil that’s in there and then put the synchro mesh in it’s place?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just had to fill my t56 and I remembered that I had a hand operated small fluid transfer pump I got a while back from harbor freight that made it easy to just stick the hose in the fill hole and pump it in. If you do not have this you can also pull the shifter from the top and fill it in there.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I just had to fill my t56 and I remembered that I had a hand operated small fluid transfer pump I got a while back from harbor freight that made it easy to just stick the hose in the fill hole and pump it in. If you do not have this you can also pull the shifter from the top and fill it in there.
I have a little hand pump. My f150 has to be filled from the bottom as well ‍♂️. I’m kind of used to this way of filling up the trans. I’ll be there for a while but oh well.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Good thing the t45 only takes like 3-4 quarts so it doesn’t take long. I just run the synchromesh from oreilly, it may be valvoline or penzoil something like that. It’s said to be a gm oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online