Hard To Shift 96 GT

Edub400

Reaction score
Hey,

Lately my 96 Gt has become hard to shift, to the point i can't get the car in first great at a stop light. Sometimes i even get stuck in a gear.

--I have notice to car only does this once it has warmed up. when I start cold i can shift w/o problems. (Or when the car is off it shifts just fine.)

---Also i can feel the car lightly shaking at light if i leave it in gear with clutch pressed down.

(" I have tried shift into gear on flat surface, with clutch press and the car didn't roll.")

talltim

Reaction score
Throw out bearing? If you have a firewall adjuster try loosening it up some

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
When sitting still, on level ground, engine off, can you shift it through the gears easily? Do it cold and hot. Also try going from 1st to R while you are doing the other tests.

OP
OP
E

Edub400

Reaction score
When sitting still, on level ground, engine off, can you shift it through the gears easily? Do it cold and hot. Also try going from 1st to R while you are doing the other tests.
Yes when the car is off COLD and HOT i can shift gears easily.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Do you get any noise or vibration in the pedal when in neutral? I have the same issue. I am pretty sure mine is the pilot bearing. I am going to be replacing it and the throw out bearing.

OP
OP
E

Edub400

Reaction score
Do you get any noise or vibration in the pedal when in neutral? I have the same issue. I am pretty sure mine is the pilot bearing. I am going to be replacing it and the throw out bearing.
Nope im not getting any noise, just hard AF to shift at normal temps.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Try putting it in gear with the clutch depressed to the floor and rev the motor up, if it moves forward it is not disengaging completely.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
It would mean that your cable will need to be adjusted, there is too much slack.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Moving the car with the engine revved up and the clutch pressed all the way in is a sure sign of a tired or improperly adjusted clutch. Also saying that you can shift all the gears smoothly with the car turned off says that it is a clutch related issue. I would do some more research on it but it sounds to me like you have a clutch going out.

OP
OP
E

Edub400

Reaction score
Try putting it in gear with the clutch depressed to the floor and rev the motor up, if it moves forward it is not disengaging completely.
Ok. I tired this and the car didn't move at all.. REV to 3 grand. So this means the cable is good. (ie. The Car was cold so it was not hard to shift.)

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Someone else with a little more manual trans experience is going to have to chime in as I'm not real familiar with the internal design. I guess your issue cold be syncros going out but again I don't know for sure

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Definitely syncros! The first gen of t45's came packaged with paper type syncros. Im surprised its lasted this long.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Good ole t45 struggles. I don't think I've ever seen one that liked to go into first or reverse, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.