Harmonic Balancer

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Well today i got my harmonic balancer changed. Let me tell you those pullers and installers are crap. While taking it out i had to reinstall the bolt and use it to press against because the puller would max out if I didnt. Ok so whatever it came off. I go to put the new one on. I slide it on and go to use the installer and the nut goes to far inside the balancer to get any wrench or socket on it, so I had to up mine back on with the crank bolt. Thankfully nothing stripped. I did run into one problem since i have an auto i dont have any way to make the engine stop turning. So i believe my bolt is torqued down to about 90ish is that enough. I know my haynes says 100-130, so i might end up buying an electric impact and it the bolt with just to make sure. Would/have you guys put loc-tite on your? Everything seems to line up ok but im am extremely anal about this stuff and it always has me thinking. Did i do it right.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Remove the inspection plate, wedge a large screwdriver between the flex plate's starter teeth and the trans housing and torque the HB bolt. Then remove the screwdriver and re-install the trans' inspection plate and your done.

Has worked many times for me!

GT

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Ill have to look into this. I did this without jacking the car up. I realized after the drag springs the car sits to low to fit a jack under the center so i said fuck it.LOL

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Its not a DD. so its not a big deal. Ill just wait till my next day off to mess with it. untill then i will just keep an eye on it.

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
what side of the trans is the impsection plate. Can i even get to it since i have LT's on the car?

98-5.0

Reaction score
another idea is to put 2 of the pulley bolts in the balancer and put a large screwdriver between them and torque away... then you dont have to figit with your flexplate teeth and risk hurting them. impact method works to. most people disagree but i put balancers on with a 3/8 impact. and my impacts will run a bolt right around 110-120 ftlbs.

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I did try that and started bending the bolts. Im going to try it again today. Atleast if the bolt has lock tite i will feel better about it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I hate doing balancers for the reasons mentioned above. They just suck to do. The last time I needed one, I just took it to the shop down the street and paid they $60 to do it. They can put the car on the lift and do it in ten minutes with a 3/8" impact, instead of me fighting with it and getting annoyed. Totally worth the $60 to me. :grin:

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I will be doing that next time. I thought about buying a cheap electric impact from work, and hitting it really quick and calling it good.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i had to do one on my old 95 vert and i did as you did with the bolts but with a huge pry bar and torqued it down. Never had any problems.

riored96gt

Reaction score
Paul said:
I hate doing balancers for the reasons mentioned above. They just suck to do. The last time I needed one, I just took it to the shop down the street and paid they $60 to do it. They can put the car on the lift and do it in ten minutes with a 3/8" impact, instead of me fighting with it and getting annoyed. Totally worth the $60 to me. :grin:

That's exactly how I felt about my heater core!

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Heater cores are a sonofabitch too, but the labor cost on those is WAAAY higher, and I'm cheap, so I do those myself. :)

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
well im working on putting lock tight on all my bolts. Ill post pics of how I had to rig everything to get it to work after im done. Could someone take a pic of how far their timing mark goes over their balancer for me please. Im pretty sure this thing isnt going any farter on but damn

LAFENATU

Reaction score
You gotta lock the converter Cody.

My buddy tried to do his with an AODE. He didn't lock the converter.

He couldn't figure out why the balancer was still somewhat loose.

I locked the converter and it turned another full turn and a half.

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
well its all back on with lock tite some of my rigging pics will be up in a bit. My torque wrent it just about 110, that with the lock tite will be good enough to satisfy me. If not i do like the idea of a 331.LOL

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
This is how i had to use the installer tool
HPIM1468.jpg

This is why.
HPIM1467.jpg

Just thought this looked hot
HPIM1466.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads