Has anybody removed their tail light lenses?

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I want to remove my tail light lenses, and I know that I'll have to bake them, but I don't want to use the wrong temp and ruin them. So wondering if anybody else has already done it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
tried and no matter how hot I got it they would not budge on my 94. I ended up cutting them apart and the glueing and sealing them back up.

95opal

Reaction score
94-95 tail bezels arent removable but the 96-98s are and they are very easy to take off. Why do you have to bake them?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
he didn't say the bezel though I figured everyone with verticle lights know that they clip on/off.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Correct ttocs. Im talking about the actual red lenses, not the bezels. Any issues with getting them to reseal after cutting?

95opal

Reaction score
Correct ttocs. Im talking about the actual red lenses, not the bezels. Any issues with getting them to reseal after cutting?

My bad if you plan on seperating them from the housing just use a high quality sealant when you put them back together. Weather or not it leeks depends on how good of a job you do reassembling them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it is a bit of a challenge to get the lined up straight and if you don't they might look crooked. If you look at the back of the light though you can see there are some vertical and horizontal molding lines(at least on the 94) that made it easier to line up. I just clamped them together, used some CA(super glue) and the instant set kicker to almost tack it into place. Then I used a two part epoxy called plastic weld(autozone) to fill in the remaining gaps to seal it off. Some light sanding and paint and you can tell something was done to it if you take it off and look closely but not from the lense side at all.

LEDs? I still need to finish my other light to match the first one.... Along with my 20 other planned projects, then will get done though....

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Thanks all! And no I'm DIYing some export lights. Tired of waiting and I don't want to pay $400 bucks. I just bought a set of tail lights I needed to start the build for $37 bucks shipped. If they actually turn out presentable, then I'll make a build thread for them! It'll just be something to do in my free time too, but like you I already have a fair amount of projects laying around lol.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Yep! And I love them but just like the 99-01 cobras or any amber-turn tail light they demand a huge price tag. Even if you find some for affordable in Aussie, UK, or Japanese markets, shipping alone can be up to $200-$300.

ExportTails_03.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I know the lence had clips like the bezel.. If its the same sealer as the head light i stuck mine in the oven for 5 min at 275.. I did a lil at a time.. Seperated slowly then when it cooled i stuck back in the oven. The slowly pried again.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Yeah I'm just a little cautious because I read on an F150 forums that the tail light plastic Ford used is more prone to heat than the headlight plastic. So we'll see I guess!

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Funny thing the head lights off the 95 would not separate no matter how hot i got it. The ones off the 98 separated easily.. Not sure if they used different sealants thought the years

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it probably the same crap they glued the headliner to the roof with. I still swear they reversed engineered alien technology to weld cardboard to metal I bet the same stuff on plastic and glass is just as strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online