Have any of y'all built any custom HTPC or desktop computers?

steveeoaktree

Reaction score
Used to spend my spare time modding and building custom rigs for people. I will enclose a build log or two and a pic or two. ( I know the hardware well, but not the net side so well)

If y'all have I'm curious what y'alls builds look like! Thanks.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1368116/the-next-last-rig-that-ill-ever-need/0_100#post_19927451

http://www.overclock.net/g/a/785239/zalman-z11-plus-z-blue-rig/

IMG_20140918_142752_zpseb249f48.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have - I've been building custom computers for quite a while now. My last "name brand" desktop was a CTX (ever heard of them? :) ) back in like 1999 - it was my first computer (but not our family's first computer). Eventually the motherboard went out. Rather than buying a new computer, I got a new motherboard (ASUS, which I continue to use exclusively to this day), and thus it began.

My current HTPC is based around a Silverstone case and runs Windows Media Center which I have piped to Ceton Echos around the house. I don't recall the specs off hand but it's pretty beefy (as it needs to support concurrent Ceton Echo connections). I've always focused on low power usage and quietness, so usually my builds always try to move in this direction.

My current gaming rig is a Sabertooth ASUS mobo with 2 GTX670's in SLI with a bunch of other stuff. Starting to age a bit but still churns through current games nicely.

Many years ago (like back in 2007 I think), I made this computer (the "case" is scratch built from wood) for my dad - he's really into trains - using a Mini-ITX mobo before they were mainstream/cool. The stupid mobo alone was like $350 - and it wasn't a gaming mobo or super performance or anything. Pretty run of the mill, just small.

pic01.jpg

pic26.jpg

pic29.jpg

Notice the parallel port (for a printer, if you don't know what a parallel port is) and the PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard - that's how old this thing is ;)

pic10.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic36.jpg

Size comparison. Rocking the CRT monitor back in the day!

pic37.jpg

The hardest part about this build is back then the mini-ITX stuff wasn't common. It was more for rugged environments and government/commercial applications. So finding all the parts was either difficult and/or expensive. But it was a fun build.

It's time for a new computer for him. Building the computer part will be cake now because of the availability of parts. We both love Dr. Who, so I'm going to make him a new computer/case modeled after the TARDIS, which I will scratch-build from wood as well. That will be a fun project :)

nitroram33

Reaction score
The train car computer is killer! I also really like ASUS MBs, I'll only build with ASUS or Gigabyte boards depending on the needs of the build.

I've built dozens for customers, usually nothing too crazy though since people around here don't generally have a ton of money to throw at that sort of thing. Current gaming rig is a little older but still gets the job done. It's a OC'ed (3.0Ghz) 920 i7, 12GB DDR3 1600, Superclocked GTX 760, an older 80GB system drive and a TB Caviar Black for storage in a Cooler Master Stacker 830 case.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I built 2 computers but this was years ago. Both of them were pretty cool but they always had some minor issues that it seemed some of the boards did not get along, or the software they shared, idunno but they both locked up a lot.... After the 2nd one was pieced together by someone that knew what they were doing and I still has annoying issues, after that I just have got my pc's at the store and not had any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online