Hazards go off on their own

PRO5OHHO

Reaction score
Actually, the bulbs don't blink, it's just the clicking sound the hazards make. Either way it eventually kills the battery. It'll do this while it's just sitting in the garage being ignored. Seems to happen every few days. The only way to get them to go off is starting the car. Before I replace the $80 multifunction switch I wanted to post this up and see if y'all agree that it's probably the multifunction switch. I did have a set of export tail lights wired in about 8 months ago. So I can't lie and say I don't suspect that also.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's a strange one but I might have an idea. I personally have had issues with the hazzard switch simply because I didn't use it for a long time and dust collected around that gap between the switch and the column plastic and when I pushed it down the dust got into the contacts. Now on mine the dust interfered with the connections and caused the turn signals to not work so they would flash 2x as fast. That switch is the last part of the wiring/circuit from the steering wheel wiring to where it goes back into the dash. if its dirty it thinks that there is a bulb out and hyper flashes it in an attempt to tell you a bulb is out. I fixed the problem by simply pushing(cycling the switch is the technical term we would use if were billing someone :) ) the switch up/down 8-10 times an the dust worked its way out for me.

with electronics we need to start simple and it doesn't get much easier then hoppin in the car ad pushing the switch like a, idunno.... "cycle"/push the switch in/out a shit load of times(excuse my technical)

OP
OP
P

PRO5OHHO

Reaction score
that's a strange one but I might have an idea. I personally have had issues with the hazzard switch simply because I didn't use it for a long time and dust collected around that gap between the switch and the column plastic and when I pushed it down the dust got into the contacts. Now on mine the dust interfered with the connections and caused the turn signals to not work so they would flash 2x as fast. That switch is the last part of the wiring/circuit from the steering wheel wiring to where it goes back into the dash. if its dirty it thinks that there is a bulb out and hyper flashes it in an attempt to tell you a bulb is out. I fixed the problem by simply pushing(cycling the switch is the technical term we would use if were billing someone :) ) the switch up/down 8-10 times an the dust worked its way out for me.

with electronics we need to start simple and it doesn't get much easier then hoppin in the car ad pushing the switch like a, idunno.... "cycle"/push the switch in/out a shit load of times(excuse my technical)

haha, i'll give that a shot. it'd definitely be a problem to feel good about, "yeah the car broke down so rarely that dust coated and disrupted my breakdown button!"

thanks!

Kboss87

Reaction score
I'd replace the multifunction switch. I bought a new motorcraft one off amazon for ~$55 when mine did some strange things.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any reason you would not try to clean the one in there first, at least confirm that it is the problem prior to buying parts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litelmac

Members online