Head Bolts/Exhaust Bolts

97ponygt

Reaction score
Need some help. Can someone tell me what the differences are between the stud kit listed below and the bolts that come with the FRPP head changing kit?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6001819

Was reading a PI swap write up and the author said to get a leak free seal on the exhaust manifold to use the kit from Napa.

The stud and nut that come from Napa look a little similar to the ones that come from ARP. The ones from FRPP look like they’re just one piece in the picture. So was hoping someone could explain the difference because I’m thoroughly confused. Are the 20 bolts you get from the FRPP kit used to bolt the exhaust manifold to the heads and the heads to the block?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you asking the differences/advantages between a stud and a bolt or the brands? You are less likely to strip the head with the studs and it does give a little more even clamping to make a better seal, but they do cost more. Now the difference in brands, well you only need to spend a few hours and $50 on easy out bits chasing a broken bolt before you don't think twice about paying the premium for arp. Be sure to get it from an authorized dealer as well and don't go for the discount places.

OP
OP

97ponygt

Reaction score
are you asking the differences/advantages between a stud and a bolt or the brands? You are less likely to strip the head with the studs and it does give a little more even clamping to make a better seal, but they do cost more. Now the difference in brands, well you only need to spend a few hours and $50 on easy out bits chasing a broken bolt before you don't think twice about paying the premium for arp. Be sure to get it from an authorized dealer as well and don't go for the discount places.

Pretty new to engine work and just trying to get my head wrapped around everything involved with doing a PI swap. It's a situation where I don't know what I don't know. Your response helped but I still need more clarification to get it through my thick skull.

Okay, so...

https://lmr.com/item/ARP-1564101/1996-04-Mustang-46L-Gt-Cobra-Arp-Head-Studs

So, I'm assuming the ARP studs in the link are only for securing the head to the block and not the manifold to the head. Is that highly recommend over the FRPP bolts? If I have to source the header and exhaust gaskets separately is their a recommended brand? Mahle or Fel-Pro?

Then assuming I am correct above is there a link or part number to ARP's header bolts or is something like the 'stage 8' a better deal?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will have to let one of the modular guys say for sure if that kit covers the intake studs/bolts but I know in the pushrod world they are different kits. Asking if the frpp bolts are as good as arp studs is going to end up with a matter of opinion. Personally I prefer studs enough that I use them when ever I can and I don't even compare the price of arp to other brands myself but I have chased a enough broken bolts to be able to justify the cost.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, call ARP directly, buy directly or let the suggest a retailer. Keep this mental note in your mind for any aftermarket purchases. Dont trust the retailer untill the maker vouches for them. You dont want chyknees copied arp or anything and they are plentiful!

Head bolts secure heads to block. Exhaust manifold bolts secure manifold to head.

We here to help regardless of question. No question is dumb! Ask away

Boostr1

Reaction score
330 bucks no thanks. Are you gonna be boosting? The ones in the first link are Ex manifold studs, the second link are just the head bolt studs.

OP
OP

97ponygt

Reaction score
At some point the plan is add a super charger to it. But we're talking 5 years probably down the road. When I do something I want it to be as 'world class as possible'. So I get the additional cost however, they are reusable and I think they might be required when adding a super charger so maybe that would be the best bet.

On the manifold studs, is that something that is recommended or something like the stage 8 bolts?

Are you guys even weary of ordering ARP from places like LMR? I ordered some ARP bolts from Amazon for a GT500 differential cover I need to install but am now wondering about the legitimacy of those. I'm also kicking myself for not thinking about getting counterfeit bolts from Amazon as I literally don't order anything name brand off of Amazon due to all the fake items they have and their unwillingness to put an end to it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive ran stage8 header bolts for years. Have many friends street cars, race cars, pulling trucks, that use them with great success.

Be weary ordering anything! Buy from manufacturer directly! The copycat industry is huge! Dont expect any engine building services to deal directly either. Theyll buy cheap, sell to you ARP retail.

Also ARP can not be copied! Well....maybe they could be, but the R&D to match what ARP has figured out would take years.

Boostr1

Reaction score
if you got the money go for it. If your gonna do alot of head removing, studs are the way to go. I don't know about now but 03/04 Cobras ran stock head bolts without any issues even at 600hp

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Stage 8 header bolts are the way to go. As hard as the bolts are to get to you don't want them to come loose.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got stage 8 locking but I think the JBA headers are a little bigger than planned or something as I had to grind/modify the locking tabs to get them to slide next to the header. Did I get the wrong kit or are they really supposed to be that hard to put on?

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
My locking tabs went on pretty easily. Getting to all of the bolts and getting them tight was another story...

OP
OP

97ponygt

Reaction score
Well I decided on the stage 8 header bolts and still go back and forth between ford tty and arp studs.

I’m playing the long game on my mustang. I just try to improve a couple of things on it every year. Sometimes it’s major and sometimes minor. Bought her when I was a senior in high school and that was 12 years ago. So the plan is 5-10 years from now or so but a Kenne Bell on it.

Read that the ford kit has a deal to make it easier to install some of the bolts. That may be the way I go for now. I don’t care at all about spending another $350 6 years from now as long as I get a really good understanding of everything today. I also kind of sort of have the ability to work on the mustang without the stress of ‘having’ to get whatever I’m doing done by a certain deadline.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online