Head gaskets on correctly?

CobraEd

Reaction score
Pics you sent were really blurry. Maybe send some new ones. Good luck with your build & keep us posted how things go.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With aluminum heads you should be running a 160-180 thermostat. Yes the water temps will be higher partly do to heat transfer of the heads but also increase in compression causes more heat. I recommend changing water pump if that’s not new. I always drill a small hole in my thermostats. To ensure water flow and limit possibility of air trap. One last thing. Some of these newer heads actually require a MLS gasket. I just went through this problem on a set of RHS heads. Even though the website for rhs said felpro ok. The RA finish is actually cut to use a MLS GASKET. The gasket never sealed against the head So far no more issues with over heating.

Last edited:

waynenorcross

Reaction score
With aluminum heads you should be running a 160-180 thermostat. Yes the water temps will be higher partly do to heat transfer of the heads but also increase in compression causes more heat. I recommend changing water pump if that’s not new. I always drill a small hole in my thermostats. To ensure water flow and limit possibility of air trap. One last thing. Some of these newer heads actually require a MLS gasket. I just went through this problem on a set of RHS heads. Even though the website for rhs said felpro ok. The RA finish is actually cut to use a MLS GASKET. The gasket never sealed against the head So far no more issues with over heating.
I thought the system doesn't come out of open loop mode with 160 degree thermostats.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The computers in our cars are meant to be used with a 180 thermostat unless you have it tuned otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, it’s a 195 degree thermostat that comes stock.

Maybe I’m thinking of where it comes out of loop. Regardless, I wouldn’t go lower than 180. Most of us have always used 180’s with a little extra timing and no cooling issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online