headers and header coating question

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
With everything apart right now I have considered sending my headers out for some kind of coating. They have been on a few years and are not rusting but are discolored. I am getting rid of the EGR stuff on the build and curious if I wanted something cleaner then a bolt in the hole were the EGR was, do I just get a fox header or is there a 94/95 specific with out the EGR for some reason?

My next question is about header coatings. Does something like Jet-hot's coating or a ceramic coating hold up better then just a regular chrome coating? Are they going to wear out after a few years of use or do they hold up longer? Would it be easier just to get some high temp black paint and plan on some touch ups down the road?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I've read on this before I bought my LT's, there was a lot of debate in all directions. What I surmised was this: Jet-hot is probably the best regarding reducing heat radiation and corrosion resistance from the pipes, mostly because it's coated inside and out. But it's pricey. Ceramic coating may be argued that it's not technically as good as Jet-hot, but in the real world I'm not sure anyone would notice. It does a fairly good job of reducing heat radiation and resistance to corrosion, less pricey than Jet-hot (the LT's I ended up buying are ceramic coated). Regarding chrome and a high temp paint like VHT, I think YMMV. Chrome will help with corrosion resistance, but doesn't really do anything for reducing heat radiation. Painting it does an okay job of both, assuming it's applied correctly and maintained. It's also by far the cheapest method.

It just depends on what you are okay with - painting it probably won't look the best (but not bad) and will require a little more maintenance. If you already have the headers, maybe just paint them and see how it goes? If you hate in a year or so, you could do something different - if you still like it in a year or so, then you saved a bunch of money.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ceramic is the way to go. Doesn't discolor, coated inside and out, doesn't rust. Win Win.

You could cut the EGR bung off the header and weld in a plug then send it off to be coated.

95opal

Reaction score
Chrome ceramic or jet hot will eventually dull down and turn grayish, already been there and done that. This set I had ceramic coated black, we will see what happens. As far as your headers Id just get fox headers and sell yours. Not worth it to cut the bung and re weld the tube back up.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I paint them it would be black just to keep it easy. Wasn't sure if there were any other finished I should consider, I don't think I am patient enough to do the heat-wrap tape but it seems like it would be the best mix of durability/performance. I don't mind the look when its done right but I have never done it before.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be wrapping my turbo manifolds soon enough. Definitely not patient enough but it must be done!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't decide been looking at just getting a new one that is ceramic coated with no egr vs sending mine out. After a little research I didn't realize how much the ceramic cut down on under hood heat so its defintly going to be ceramic coated what ever it is.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
You have a 94 correct? If so, DO NOT GET FOX HEADERS. The driver side does not fit. Not even close. You'd have to basically destroy one of the header tubes and severely modify the clutch fork. And this is after you've installed and removed the header 6 times before everything finally cleared. Oh and not to mention the tools needed for said modifications which include a torch, grinder with cutting wheel, sawzaw, removing the clutch fork. Yes, I know because I currently have fox headers in my car. I didn't know about the fitment issue when they were bought for me used as a gift. I was determined to make them fit but it cost me lots of time and hard ache and you end up with one of the tubes on the header crushed half way in. Then comes the next surprise that the ends of the fox headers no longer line up with 94-95 X or H pipe you have which again requires you to chop, cut and weld. Now I've heard stories about people using fox tranny's and then it works but that's another story.

95opal

Reaction score
You have a 94 correct? If so, DO NOT GET FOX HEADERS. The driver side does not fit. Not even close. You'd have to basically destroy one of the header tubes and severely modify the clutch fork. And this is after you've installed and removed the header 6 times before everything finally cleared. Oh and not to mention the tools needed for said modifications which include a torch, grinder with cutting wheel, sawzaw, removing the clutch fork. Yes, I know because I currently have fox headers in my car. I didn't know about the fitment issue when they were bought for me used as a gift. I was determined to make them fit but it cost me lots of time and hard ache and you end up with one of the tubes on the header crushed half way in. Then comes the next surprise that the ends of the fox headers no longer line up with 94-95 X or H pipe you have which again requires you to chop, cut and weld. Now I've heard stories about people using fox tranny's and then it works but that's another story.

This is true with long tubes but shorties bolt right up with no issues. Myself and a bazillion others have done it over and over for almost 20 years now.

cameron57

Reaction score
Just get a set of shorties from bbk that are already coated. Or something similar. Long tubes are a mofo. Shorties take like 5 mins :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will definitely be stayin shorties. I am weighing getting a new set vs having mine coated. Exactly what is there to gain with equal length headers other then the need to take them off to swap plugs?

cameron57

Reaction score
Shouldnt need to take off the headers to change plugs. I bigger tube will move more exhaust and gain you some hp and tq

cameron57

Reaction score
Sorry just got to looking at equal length id stay away from those and just get unequals. Ive always ran unequal lengths

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So then just to make sure the fox shorties will fit with no EGR right? Seems like it would be cheaper to get the set I have now coated as long as the EGR wasn't too big of a pain for me to live with. While I am sending parts off for coating, how much would it help to get my lower intake coated as well? Seems like it would help lower intake temps a bit?

cameron57

Reaction score
Im not sure on the intake temps if it will help at all. Also before you coat your stockers search cl i have gotten to sets of shorties for $75

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Currently I have some BBK shorty's that I am debating on coating or selling and getting a coated set with out the egr. Trying to figure out how much not having the egr is worth to me really as that is the only difference now between a new set or getting these done except the new set would probably cost me $200 more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online