Headers....short or long????

W

WODY281

Alright, I need some help with a header prob. I am fixin to put some headers on my gt, and kinda in a mix about which one I wanna do. My car is a 97 stroker gt w/ p&p p.i. heads, p.i. intake, cams, nos...etc. Pretty much everything you can do to one except headers. It has a prochamber h-pipe on it now that is set up for stock manifolds or shortys. So if I get long tubes then I would have to ditch the prochamber and buy a new one for long tubes. Either that or pay somebody out the butt to cut the pipes to try to make it fit the long tubes. So I was wondering what would yall do? Does shortys and long tubes make that big of difference in each other in h.p.? I know ford racing sells a pair of shortys for like 260.00 and BBK for like 300.00? Are they good headers, or does anybody have any dyno results? Also flowtech sells a pair of long tubes for like 250.00, but I haven't heard any reviews or results on those. And does the diameter of the tube and collector make a diff? B/c i've noticed most of the long tubes are all diff. Yall help me out on what to do!!!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
you have a nasty ass motor set-up so why would you even consider getting any thing LESS than long tubes ;D ;D

Get the full length headers dude, they provide more hp and tq than the other choices and in your case they will NO DOUBT give more power with what you have under the hood.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered some BBK shorties on monday, I'll let you know in a few weeks.
but this is short term, I plan on adding a turbo, which will replace all the exahust up to the catback.

Interesting, I also have a catless prochamber up to the shorty position. :)
Good sounding motor combo you've got there!
What shot of NOS are you shooting, and how much power'? I'm just finishing installing NOS on mine, but haven't run it yet.

Shorties don't gain much NA, but sound better on the modular.
Long tubes sound even better and gain some. If I was adding a blower or staying NA, I would have gone Longtubes.
the down side of them is ground clearance on the collector, and install is a PITA if you're doing it yourself.

Good luck, please keep us updated !

OP
OP
W

WODY281

Yeah keep me posted on how the headers turn out. A turbo setup would be bad as hell. But damnnnn those kits are HIGH!!! Where would you get the kit from? Thats weird you have a prochamber too. Hell i think we have about the same set up. Didn't you get your stroker kit from livernois motorsports? Thats where I got mine, and the kit seems to be great. (looked good as hell!!) Dude you'll LOVE the nos, just make sure you get it tuned 1st. I'm runnin only a 75hp shot now :'( But when I get my motor and tune straight i'm gonna bump it up to 150 or higher. I think yall are probably right about the long tubes, so I guess i'll go that rout. Do yall think flowtech would be a good header, or do i need to go with bbk or something???

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
bbk's are less expensive than other longtubes, but seriously, If I was doing long tubes, I'd go with the Bassani mid lengths.
the tubes don't go over the bell, so you don't have the ground clearance issues from that, and you still have the collector.
My friend put them on his 01 GT with a SLP x pipe and it sounds awsome, very good smooth tone, Zero poping durring deceleration.
clean install too. The pipes are modular so they go up 1 at a x, you don't have to drop or pull anything for the install.
Definately check them out!

Ya, I got my stroker kit from Livernios! we pretty much do have the same motor! Nice work man :thumb:
I'm just finishing the build, link's below my sig, check it out and let me know what you think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.