Headgasket Install Timing Question

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
So I recently blew a head gasket, and I'm set on going through the repair myself this week. I bought the 4.6L & 5.4L How to Rebuild book by George Reid and its helped a bit, but I have a question about timing the camshaft when I reinstall the heads.

Assuming I reuse my current heads, could I not just mark the position of the crankshafts on the chain with a paint marker and reinstall them that same way?

The book mentions needing to reinstall heads with all valves closed or near closed, or else you could bend a valve. But the book is also assuming I took the whole engine apart.

So when I get to reinstalling the head, do I need to do that, or would marking the cam position work fine? I'd assume it would because the pistons would be in the same position, so a valve that's open wouldnt bend on a piston that's near the bottom of its stroke, right?

Edit:
I assume I could actually separate the head and camshaft during the install, meaning I could just push all valves closed and not have to worry about this question at all but then I would have to properly time the cams myself, which I'm unsure of how to do. If this method is easier, I guess I can use a video about installing new cams to learn how to time it.

Thanks,
Blake

tvsn95

Reaction score
Ive done a 4.6, I had twisted heads and blower cams so I needed to start from the beginning,,I suggest you do the same. start by bringing #1 to TDC, pull a valve cover to see that both valves On #1 are closed. then take it apart. they make special tools to hold and find the TDC and cam positions but the New timing set will have colored links to find cam timing. I found TDC with a spark plug stop that I made and a degree wheel. If you dont understand , find some one that does.
then follow the books you have and reassemble, careful not to rotate the crank. Warning put the same head back on the same side,,there is an oil blocking plug on each head and you will burn the cam and chains up if you get the plugs in wrong. Good luck

az97cobra

Reaction score
Although its been a while since i rebuilt my engine ,this diagram helped me a bit to line things up before installing the heads. I didn't do this at first and went to rotate the engine and of course there was interference from the valves. Go to pg 9

Attachments

• 397-M-6004-462V_timing.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Ive done a 4.6, I had twisted heads and blower cams so I needed to start from the beginning,,I suggest you do the same. start by bringing #1 to TDC, pull a valve cover to see that both valves On #1 are closed. then take it apart. they make special tools to hold and find the TDC and cam positions but the New timing set will have colored links to find cam timing. I found TDC with a spark plug stop that I made and a degree wheel. If you dont understand , find some one that does.
then follow the books you have and reassemble, careful not to rotate the crank. Warning put the same head back on the same side,,there is an oil blocking plug on each head and you will burn the cam and chains up if you get the plugs in wrong. Good luck

That makes sense but how am I suppose to turn the crank? I'm trying my best not to pull the engine, and that didnt really answer my question as to if just marking the timing on the cams would work.

If I have to pull the engine I will but I'm trying to keep this as a garage job. I'll look into those holder tools though

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
That makes sense but how am I suppose to turn the crank? I'm trying my best not to pull the engine, and that didnt really answer my question as to if just marking the timing on the cams would work.

If I have to pull the engine I will but I'm trying to keep this as a garage job. I'll look into those holder tools though

Just found out theres a crank gear under the timing cover. Obviously there would be ‍‍lol I wasn't thinking. Thanks az97cobra for the timing diagram

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online