Headlight bulb questions...

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I recently swapped the stock POS headlight bulbs for a HID system. Wire looms, the whole schmear! First drive in the dark with them was this morning at 0345 on way to work. THEY SUCK!!! They’re just as weak for down road vision as the OE’s, just a prettier color. Crap!

Ok, I vented.

Here’s my questions:
I’m going to LED’s...
1. What brands are good? Fehren? Sylvania? Or ???
2. How many low beam lumens without getting flashed by oncoming traffic?
3. Am I looking for 9007’s aka HB5’s?

This is for my ‘95 SVT Cobra.
Thanks!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
leds will not help the problem unless you change the housing, might make it worse. The halogen housings just do not work that well with HID/led unless you do a projector conversion.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My research just confirmed that. So, the obvious next question is: how do I convert from reflector to Projector headlights?

tvsn95

Reaction score
I would not lie to ya. I answered your other post already.
Would you educate me on the solutions to the headlight problem,,,I have wanted to do SOMETHING about these crummy lights for years.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Would you educate me on the solutions to the headlight problem,,,I have wanted to do SOMETHING about these crummy lights for years.
he started another post that I can't seem to find. I tried to go to your/darly's profile page but it says he limits who can see it so I can't see what posts he has started. That option also limits people from being able to direct message you as well.

Rich

Reaction score
Saw this post as "Trending" in my inbox and wanted to just give my two cents.

I got the Raxiom LED Projector Headlights from AM years ago and all I can say is they suuuuck a donkey's A whole for night driving. They're not bad lights, but you can't adjust them high enough to be of any use for far distance lighting. About a week after I got them I met a guy who told me his son had purchased the same lights and had the same problem. It is most certainly possible we're just two rhetards that can't properly adjust our headlights but it is also possible they're just not good lights.

They do look really sweet though!

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I am running LED headlight bulbs that are 8000 lumens each in reflector headlight housings. The MOST important thing is to get your headlights adjusted. Too low or too high makes any headlight worthless. That said, I have used both reflector headlights and projector headlights. Not too great of a difference between the different housings but even one turn of the headlight adjustment screw can make a major difference in how effective your headlights are.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
he started another post that I can't seem to find. I tried to go to your/darly's profile page but it says he limits who can see it so I can't see what posts he has started. That option also limits people from being able to direct message you as well.
See thread entitled, “projector/LED headlight...” in 94-95 SN95 Forum. You responded to it earlier!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
See thread entitled, “projector/LED headlight...” in 94-95 SN95 Forum. You responded to it earlier!
I have heard plenty of people online that will tell you that they do it, works 100x better than halogen and they never get flashed bright lights. The only problem is that when you get the light adjusted up far enough that you can see well the light spreads out so far that the people facing you probably hate you because they are partially blind. I know that its not uncommon for me to see one coming towards me and yea, I don't flash them anymore because all they do is flash ya back to say "LOOK I GOTS HIDS/LEDS!" and then you are really blind.

Please people, don't do led/hid in halogen lights.

dwcopple

Reaction score
Do some research on TRUE tested halogen bulbs. There are some damn impressive ones available

joemomma

Reaction score
Yep, as has been mentioned, LED/HID in a halogen housing is not going to fix anything, and will probably make it worse. The only way LED/HID will work better is in a reflector/housing designed for them. That being said, all you can do is get a good halogen bulb, and aim them properly. If your lenses are crappy, you probably need to clean/replace them.
This very same topic has been beaten to death over on the F150 forums - the '15+ F-150 headlights are really bad, too. There is aftermarket support for them, with many vendors making some very pricey replacements with new housings/etc. With our cars being older, there probably aren't too many good replacement options, as the market just isn't there any longer. Your best bet is probably new OEM-style lights and new, high-quality halogen bulbs.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got the NAPA halogen Night Vision Brilliant 9007 bulbs. They work ok. Well, good enough with the fog lights to call it quits on the headlight bulb fiasco! Now I just have to stay awake and alert enough during darkness to adjust them! I’m kind of an “early to bed, early to rise” kind of guy since I get up at 3:00am for work!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and stick with halogen bulbs. I'm using Phillips X-tremeVision bulbs. NAPA's NightVision bulbs have gotten some great reviews as well.
Thanks, Trick. I went with the NAPA.

joemomma

Reaction score
Got the NAPA halogen Night Vision Brilliant 9007 bulbs. They work ok. Well, good enough with the fog lights to call it quits on the headlight bulb fiasco! Now I just have to stay awake and alert enough during darkness to adjust them! I’m kind of an “early to bed, early to rise” kind of guy since I get up at 3:00am for work!

Let us know how you like those bulbs. I need new housings and likely bulbs too. I don't envy the 3AM wakeup call - I used to get up around then for work, and it's the treatment. I was going to bed at 7PM.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So far, the NAPA bulbs are an improvement over what came with the headlight assemblies. When I get around to aiming the headlights properly, I’m sure they’ll be a tad better. I still use the fog lights with them to get good lighting because we all know how deficient the lighting on these cars is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online