Headlight question help please

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals got a question no flaming plz lol I recently got a 1979 nova custom fully restored all original 44,000 mile car gave to me . Replaced the dimmer switch cause it was sticky and seemed to work well . Went drove the car headlights go on and off by themselves and don't even have to be driving ! Any ideas ? Headlight switch ? Any tests or recommendations . I appreciate any help I know this isn't the place for a Chevy question and I've got my fire suit on . God bless !

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so your saying with power off to the lights they come on? Or that with the power on they flicker?

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
No like if the switch is on and driving down the road with the lights on they will just go off and they might come back on in like 5-10 seconds then back off , then stay on for a while it's very dangerous . I just went and replaced the headlight switch and on terminal 1 I noticed some black burnt looking something . Before I just now replaced the switch I drove the car into my work area with the old original switch and it didn't go off or flicker at all but I still went ahead and replaced the switch with the new one . I'm not sure about this any help man don't want these things too fool me into thinking everything's fixed then crap out again on the top of a mountain .. Also could this be related to the voltmeter gauge not working ?? Thanks !!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd start with the h/l switch too.
The black terminal sound like the connector might have been loose and arching.
Pics of Nova?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No like if the switch is on and driving down the road with the lights on they will just go off and they might come back on in like 5-10 seconds then back off , then stay on for a while it's very dangerous . I just went and replaced the headlight switch and on terminal 1 I noticed some black burnt looking something . Before I just now replaced the switch I drove the car into my work area with the old original switch and it didn't go off or flicker at all but I still went ahead and replaced the switch with the new one . I'm not sure about this any help man don't want these things too fool me into thinking everything's fixed then crap out again on the top of a mountain ..

The only time I ever experienced anything like that was when I had my green sixer. The headlights cut out on a long trip back from Detroit at like 2 or 3 in the morning. I had to hold the multi-function switch on high beams the rest of the way back in order to get home. It turns out the headlight switch got too hot and started to melt.

Also could this be related to the voltmeter gauge not working ?? Thanks !!

I doubt it.

chaos254

Reaction score
What did the headlight switch harness look like? I know its a different car but my 95 gt currently has the same problem and this what I found...

jetyqasy.jpg

I have a new harness and switch on the way. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies . I will try to get a picture of the old switch terminals and let you guys look at them . The harness seemed to be in good condition . Maybe the headlight switches internal circuit went bad and started burning it up ? Who knows . I'll try to get some pics of the nova up she's a beautiful car no doubt only 7500 of the 79 nova customs made and I've got an all orig 44,000 mile one I am very gratefull ! Thanks again for all help ima try to post up pics ! God bless

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
power up the system and then start pulling/tugging/messing with all the wire. I would start off behind the headlights myself since you replaced the switch already and then work your way back to the switch. Sounds like a bad connection and doing this will help you locate the problem part.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Oh yeah A/C nice here in Tennessee it gets hotter here than in Florida now days ! I think they need to go back to the 70's and learn how to make these seats again lol cause the cars we have today the seats aren't anywhere near as comfy or roomy lol . Think about it whoever designed all the cars basically in the year 1969 you couldn't go wrong no matter what make . Chevy had the vette and the camaro , Chevelle etc . Ford had mustang , Torino , comet gt . Dodge had challenger and charger and superbird , Daytona . Ah when life was good and sadly I wasn't alive yet :( lol

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
All great cars ....in straight line.
Try taking a corner in those cars and seats. no side support at all. lots of times they were all vinyl and the passengers in the back seat would slide from one side to another.

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
^ I agree and understand what your saying . But how many people do you know that road race around corners compared to the people that either drag race in a straight line or highway race. Around here way more people straight line racing rather than cornering . This car is all vinyl interior it will slide you a little but not bad but def I was building a dedicated race car I would get buckets with harness. But my point was boy these seats are comfy lol can't get over it , I've rode in some cars especially the 07 ish impala those seats feel like your riding on the bare frame with no suspension on a plastic chair. I'm gonna try to get pics of the switch up in just a moment bout to head out there and thanks to everyone again for your help and generous comments ! God bless

OP
OP
99GreenStang

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Don't really know didn't drive the car at night neither did my grandfather only reason I replaced dimmer switch was because it was sticking . Then I drove car at night and problem came out of nowhere and so I replaced the headlight switch . I asked a friend and he said there isn't any relays for the headlight system in this car and said just to check fuses .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you kept the old switch throw it back in and see if it keeps doing it. Otherwise you will need to track down a short which can be a PIA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online