Headliner Installation Tips?

SN95-OH

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the headliner in my 96 cobra. The old one is out and I purchased a replacement from TMI. The TMI product promised to come with the fabric already attached... which I thought would save a lot of time. Unfortunately, the fabric is only attached to the front of the backboard with several inches of fabric extending beyond each edge/side. I believe I will need to trim this extra fabric, wrap it around the edges, and glue it down in order to actually install the unit. Am I correct in this understanding? Any hints or tips from those that have already done this? Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
can you get a pic of what you have? Normally you glue it down and then trim the excess off. I think when I redid mine years ago I used 3m super 77 trim adhesive for mine. You want to use it kind of like a contact cement where you apply it to each surface and then let it dry a few mins till its tacky and then put the two together.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
There should be some wrapping around the edge, of the headliner will go up with the excess folded over, why not leave it?

I will say this, I don’t know if a formula has changed or something, but the 3m headliner glue is crap. I did the headliner in my f250. Followed the directions to a T. Made sure the board was completely clean, hell I even waited for a low humidity day that was warm. It only held on for a few months. The first time it got over 100°, the glue released and the headliner fell down.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea if you are experiencing temps that high, and even worse on a dark colored car it will be hard to use anything less then nice upholstery trim and that isn't something you buy in a spray can. Most glues and adhesives are made to release with heat or just do it naturally and I had the same problem when I lived in pheonix but that city is different from most. Of course if the two pieces are applied before it dry enough that will also cause it to release. Upholstery people tend to make that work for them with a steamer/heat gun to allow them to activate the adhesive and then press the two together so they stick and hold the two together

OP
OP
S

SN95-OH

Reaction score
So this is how it looks. Notice the fabric extending beyond the ABS mold. I'm most concerned with the areas where the mold cuts in... like in the second photo. Seems like too much materials to just install as is. Thanks!
IMG_8016.JPG IMG_8017.JPG

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is strange. I can't think of any reason that they should not have just wrapped it around with some glue to finish it. Its not a big deal to complete it from here. Get a fresh box knife blade and some trim adhesive and all you need to do is spray across where the two sections meet. Let it sit for a few minutes till its tacky and then you can fold it over and cut/trim the areas that need it.

OP
OP
S

SN95-OH

Reaction score
Yeah... I guess that's what I'll do. I almost began to think that it could be installed as is... because why would they sell it like this? But it makes more sense to trim and glue. Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure that they didn't intend for it to go up as is and then just tuck the excess over the edge with no glue? I didn't have any gaps on mine when I glued it all the way around the edge and then installed it.

Flade

Reaction score
In my experience TMI intentionally leaves extra and doesn’t cut holes etc. so that if can be used on custom set ups as well as stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.