Heads and Cam Suggestions

ga94gt

Reaction score
I am looking to build my motor a little, and want some ideas on heads and cam. Keep in mind i do have an auto trns so the cam can't be too big.

Any Suggestions?

96stangRC

Reaction score
If you can afford it and aren't really on too much of a budget, I would go with some AFR 165's for a 302/306 motor. I think that right now these are the best out of the box heads. For a cam, look into a custom grind from a reputable company such as FTI. However, since your running an auto, your gonna need a good convertor to really take advantage of that new motor.

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
I was leaning toward the AFR 165 or the Gt-40 turbo swirl. I really want to stay away from a stall (daily driver) i was thinkging of the e303 cam. Would it be worth the money?

96stangRC

Reaction score
Although I chose AFR as the best heads, I'm actually running the GT40X turbo swirl heads on my car with an E303 cam, and an Edelbrock Performer intake. I am pretty happy with this setup as the car runs very strong for what it actually has. A lot of people willl tell you that there are much better head and cam choices than the Ford Racing stuff and they are right, but I definitly think that for the price, the aluminum GT40's and alphabet cams work pretty decently when set up correctly. But if I had to build a new motor, I would probably lean towards AFR's. Also, even with your car being a daily driver I would still look into a mild convertor, such as one with maybe a 2600-3000 stall. I have ridden in cars with built motors and stock convertors and it really takes away from the engines potential in my opinion. But what ever you decide to do, good luck with your build. O0

Reaction score
AFR 165's and a Trickflow stage 1 cam for an off the shelf cam or get a custom ground one by Ed Curtis at Flowtech.

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
96stangrc what kind of power are you putting down (hp) with your setup? I want to be in the 275 range.

96stangRC

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't had the car on a dyno yet, but I would guess somewhere in the 270-280hp range :dunno: The car definitly feels strong and torquey and the combo seems to work well together. Theres a guy around here with a full Edelbrock top-end on a 306 and I know for a fact that my car feels way stronger than his. Why, I have no idea. Within the next few weeks, I should have the car at the track so when I see how it does there, I'll let ya know. Hoping to trap around 105-107mph.

OP
OP
G

ga94gt

Reaction score
sounds good best of luck to ya. Thanks for the info :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt