heads+cam, best bang for buck?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
The camshaft is the single most critical component related to idle quality and drivability. Period.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
94-95's are different than fox's computers. A cam will cause hanging idle, surges, and it to cut off every time you stop. Trust me just get heads and rockers unless you want a headache.
I installed a Steeda #19 cam and the car runs beautifully with no tune. After the computer made adjustments to the new setup the thing runs very well, no idle problems or anything :)

94 DropTop

Reaction score
2slo95fiveoh said:
tri state cylinder heads sells GT40 aluminum "turbo swirl" heads for $550/pr complete. then you could buy a used intake of choice for $300-400, and a
new cam for around $200. then you have the extra money needed to buy a gasket set, possibly a tb, etc....
there site is so unorganized can you find them for me?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
2slo95fiveoh said:
tri state cylinder heads sells GT40 aluminum "turbo swirl" heads for $550/pr complete. then you could buy a used intake of choice for $300-400, and a
new cam for around $200. then you have the extra money needed to buy a gasket set, possibly a tb, etc....
there site is so unorganized can you find them for me?

That is a killer deal and there is a cobra intake on this site for $390 and its beautiful.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
quickstang_1994 said:
94-95's are different than fox's computers. A cam will cause hanging idle, surges, and it to cut off every time you stop. Trust me just get heads and rockers unless you want a headache.
I installed a Steeda #19 cam and the car runs beautifully with no tune. After the computer made adjustments to the new setup the thing runs very well, no idle problems or anything :)
Trickflow s1 (lift)499/510 (duration)221/225 (lobe seperation)112
Steeda #19 (lift)480/480 (Duration)220/226 (Lobe seperation)115
Ford b cam (lift)480/480 (duration)224/224 (lobe seperation)112 Lift is .510 with 1.7 and a little duration (not real sure on how to calculate)
Your lobe seperation is for computer friendly 94-95.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Paul said:
Not just my opinion. There are lots of people who agree. I've had alphabet cams in the past (B and F to be specific), they idled like crap and made mediocre power. There are literally dozens of cams you could go with today that will make more power with better idle quality than the alphabet soup. Not to mention the wide availability of custom grinds nowadays.

Yours makes power because you're jamming a ton of boost down it.

looks like you are real close to my cam with 1.7 minus the split duration

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

For the one who dont want have trouble with the idle, Is it a good idea to just replace the intake and the heads ?

If you change also the full exhaust, the injectors and the fuel pump, you can got a good H.P. gain.

F.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
el docum said:
Hello,

For the one who dont want have trouble with the idle, Is it a good idea to just replace the intake and the heads ?

If you change also the full exhaust, the injectors and the fuel pump, you can got a good H.P. gain.

F.

Agreed

Schiffy

Reaction score
Paul said:
Not just my opinion. There are lots of people who agree. I've had alphabet cams in the past (B and F to be specific), they idled like crap and made mediocre power. There are literally dozens of cams you could go with today that will make more power with better idle quality than the alphabet soup. Not to mention the wide availability of custom grinds nowadays.

Yours makes power because you're jamming a ton of boost down it.

I agree with you... i personally(PERSONALLY, me, myself and I) think the alphabet cams are overplayed and not the best bang for the buck... You can get a custom ground cam for fairly cheap, thats built perfectly to your specs

94 DropTop

Reaction score
the steeda #19 cam are suppose to be computer friendly cuz are cams have the same lobe separation. lobe separation is the main reason they kill are computers.

TripleBlack

Reaction score
if i get gt40p heads what kind of headers would i need??...i have bassani short tubes now....

redmustang95

Reaction score
i have a question, can i just add heads and keep my exising valvetrain, or is it just better to get a complete set with valvetrain included?

redmustang95

Reaction score
actually two questions, if i buy any heads, then install 1.7 rr, that means taller valve covers, which means i prob have to get a intake manifold spacer, and then an aftermarket hood?

ranger50toy

Reaction score
I have AFR heads with a GT40 and 1.6RR under the stock hood using a 3/8 manifold spacer, but its tight.

Magic

Reaction score
redmustang95 said:
i have a question, can i just add heads and keep my exising valvetrain, or is it just better to get a complete set with valvetrain included?

you can if you buy heads made for bolt down (pedestal mount) rockers IE. Edelbrock Performer 60379

Magic

Reaction score
redmustang95 said:
actually two questions, if i buy any heads, then install 1.7 rr, that means taller valve covers, which means i prob have to get a intake manifold spacer, and then an aftermarket hood?

not necessarily you will need taller valve covers, depending on the setup. You can use the stock valve covers say if you did the Edelbrocks I mentioned in the above post with the set of bolt down 1.7 roller rockers. If you did stud mount rockers, you will most likely need a set of taller valve covers. I would sugguest something like the 86-93 style valve covers. You might have to modify the oil filler neck slightly.

Hybrid Freak

Reaction score
AFR, TFS, or Edelbrock heads all make good power. As far as the cam 94-95's are a little finicky but the steeda #19 works well, the e303 is a nice little cam as well. With edelbrock heads, Intake, stock cam, shorty headers,4.10's, and a 2.0 shitty 60' my 95 gt went 13.5 at 104. Your goal is easy to attain man. Hope this helped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Staff online

Members online