heads for a 347 street car (descript is long so bare with it)

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok i am planning on building a 347 stroker, I cannot stress enough that i want CARB legal visible parts for legal purposes and i do not plan on adding any power adders. so this is what i have in mind:

a 347 CHP short block (http://www.coasthigh.com/10668-SF-F347E-SB-p/10668-sf-f347e-sb.htm)
with their custom grind crank (lift: .491/.509 duration:212/222 lobe:112)

Others include BBK 70 MM TB, BBK 76MM for 19#(if i can get away with 19, if not then 24#),BBK CAI, ported factory intake matched to heads and TB (possibly still deciding) reason why is so it can retain its "stock" look, minus the heads. BBK OR ASP UD pulleys and BBK shorty headers. Going to do alum driveshift, keeping the factory t5 (internally upgrading to handle power) and slapping on a stage 2 clutch. rear end is going to get some 3.15 or 3.27. (because its is a DD). Going to get the Anderson PMS tuning tool (http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...58L-PMS-Programmable-Engine-Management-System) and learn to tune myself. I do plan on keeping the EGR smog equipment and the AC. Upgrading the fuel pump and putting an adjustable fuel regulator and possible aftermarket fuel rails.

Now for the heads, I am torn between AFR 165 or 185. I wanted the 165 for better torque, but people on Facebook forums were giving me shit because it "chokes" the 347. Regardless both heads will give me 9.5:1 CR with that short block. Again this is a street car, I am not going to be revving past 6k RPM so low end torque and good range of power is a preference. I dont want power at high RPM i want it throughout the RPM's.

This is my DD, that will see the strip (1/8) maybe once every quarter of the year, the track (road course not a big one, made for go-carts) 3-4 times every quarter, and canyon cruises every chance i can get. I understand that a "high performance" motor isnt going to be reliable or have the best gas mileage, but i do want to be decent, (accept when i step on it)

what is your input guys on the heads and intake? The rest I am pretty much set on, might change some things depending on the circumstance and anything new or my change of mind. Or if you convince me otherwise. :) and if it seems as if im "contradicting" you i am sorry, i just want to know why you said what you said. I am not knowledgeable and I do want learn so school me.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
No plans for a power adder, daily driver, I would still get the 185's, became I am a huge fan of big heads and a smaller cam. And I would get the 24# injectors, no questions asked. That's just me. You seem to have a well thought-out plan of attack. But if you get the 185's then definitely get the 24's...

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
X2 on the 185s.

Stock intake is going to be the big restriction, though.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
I would suggest buy the "biggest" heads you can afford. But since you need to be carb legal. Go with the 185s. Plenty of guys put mid-high 300 numbers up with them. Or give Ed Curtis a e-mail and he can suggest a top end for you. At least get a cam from him and it will be purring like a kitten.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The only reason i was considering the 165's is because of low end torque. I understand that the 347 stroker is a torquey motor, but will it have good low end with the 185's? and by any chance do you have ed's email? And one reason why i do not want a radical cam is because i have power brakes and dont need to lose my vacuum pressure. Also what intake do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
an intake preferably that can house a strut tower brace.

Kboss87

Reaction score
You'll have plenty of low end torque with the 185s. You need 24lb injectors.

I would not suggest using the stock intake. Even ported its still not going to flow enough.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I suggest going away from the stock intake as well . I would just put a nice intake on it to really benefit the combo . With the mild cam you'll really want the extra air up top coming in . The rpm 2 and systemax are great on these things . A simple 347 stroker with afr's came in my buddy's dyno shop ,unknown cam 185's systemax 2 manifold pretty simple 30lb injectors made 379rwhp . The guy daily drives it and we have emissions here as well

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
an intake preferably that can house a strut tower brace.

You can get one that is designed to work with aftermarket manifolds . I hope I can whip up something for a strut tower brace on my car stupid blowers

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the trickflow street burner intake? it says the range is from idle to 5800. will that be a good intake? What brand for injectors? i was looking at the accel 24lb. any good?

and bbk makes a strut brace so ill get that as well.

I hope I can whip up something for a strut tower brace on my car stupid blowers

LOL time to learn how to fab.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the trickflow street burner intake? it says the range is from idle to 5800. will that be a good intake? What brand for injectors? i was looking at the accel 24lb. any good?

and bbk makes a strut brace so ill get that as well.

LOL time to learn how to fab.

my fab skills are awesome it's clearance between intake manifold and hood and the supercharger

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
No on the street burner intake. . At least 30 pound injectors. . If it's going top be N/A I would go for a 10.1 compression

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
No on the street burner intake. . At least 30 pound injectors. . If it's going top be N/A I would go for a 10.1 compression

why no on the street burner? and i would love higher compression but the CARB legal short block from CHP comes with 9.5:1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online