Heads Heads Heads

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Well Im looking to do an injector tune soon, and next is heads. I want heads that i can just bolt up to get me closer to 400HP without any other modifications. I heard trick flow, a guy at work says GT40 what is the best? i need em right around a grand. any good links? i know we have been over this, just like to square things up a bit and bookmark them

-Paul

Z28 This

Reaction score
find a set of used AFR 185's or them brand new are $1400....best heads i think

Spyder

Reaction score
AFR heads are great heads, and have great power outputs. I have also heard and read many positive things about the trickflow twisted wedges, only thing is, i think you have to have your pistons notched to clear the valve but im not sure. GT40 heads, in my book, are okay, but i dont think the have the same quality and performance that the AFR's or the Trickflows have. Just my $.02

95whitevenom

Reaction score
AFR's and Trickflow TW's are the best bang for the buck. The AFR a lil more so since I have herd of valvespring trouble on some trickflow swaps. They are both superior heads to the GT-40 and P heads.

97vertstang

Reaction score
what about the edelbrock 5.0 heads :dunno: theyre $1200 so they are way cheaper than the rest, how good are they with some pocket work, and intake matching them??

Spyder

Reaction score
I have the edelbrock performer 5.0 heads. I love em, they are great heads. From what i have heard though is they dont produce the same amount of power as the AFR's or the Trickflows. I dont know for sure, but ultimatly, its your budget that will decide which route you go.

Julian Moore

Reaction score
Edelbrock heads are fantastic heads. So are AFR's..though 185's are WAAAAAYYYY too big for your set up. 165's will be fine, 4oo rwhp is not a problem with any of the heads mentioned. If it matters....I rund edelbrock performer 6037's, and I am making way north of 400 without a problem.

Spyder

Reaction score
NOw, forgive me for not being up to date on my cars mods, especially being that i bought it exactly how it sits, but are the 6037's the 1.90 valves or the 2.02. Just curious, cause i know i have the 1.90, but i dont know the number. Also wondering what the peak power of my head would be, so i know if i need to replace them later on down the road. Thanks

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Spyder said:
NOw, forgive me for not being up to date on my cars mods, especially being that i bought it exactly how it sits, but are the 6037's the 1.90 valves or the 2.02. Just curious, cause i know i have the 1.90, but i dont know the number. Also wondering what the peak power of my head would be, so i know if i need to replace them later on down the road. Thanks
6037's are the 1.90/1.60 with the pedestal mount rockers. I donno what the peak would be but I think the pedestal mount will limit ya...don't hold me to it though.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Def look into AFR or Trickflow. If your're going to spend the money on heads, do it right. The AFR 185's are a big and you'll have to notch the poston for clearence. The sweet thing about the Trickflow TW heads is that it has the 2.02 valve, which normally wont clear the stock piston, but it's canted valve location enables it to clear it...making the power of a bigger head without the hassel of redoing the pistons.

I just got a set of Trickflows with 1.7 rockers. I should have it back tomorow, I CAN'T WAIT!

94twinscrew

Reaction score
If you're just looking for the easiest and best head....that would be the AFR 165's. No notching,great quality. Trickflows are good,but they trade up a few cons for Kb guys....if you have a cam,boosted,or both,you WILL have to upgrade to better springs. Also, you have to measure the pushrods to see what size you'll need for your application. Now here's a biggie....your blower WON'T fit with Trickflows unless you run a spacer...which means you have to modify your snout bracket,and look into possibly getting a cowl hood to clear the manifolds and blower pulley.*BELIVE ME,I KNOW* :hammer:

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I've heard great things about AFR's. I would stick with the 165's for your application.

wytstang

Reaction score
E-brock heads are for what ever reason underrated in the mustang world, everybody seems to skip them and go the TW/AFR 165 route. Hell the Holley heads are a copy of the AFR heads and they still get over looked. Straight bolt on my vote is for e-brock heads a few years ago they got revamped and flow just as good as AFRs and cheaper with quality still top notch.

wytstang

Reaction score
Oh yeah another head that would be awesome and is over looked as well is the Brodix ST 5.0 heads....

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
wytstang said:
E-brock heads are for what ever reason underrated in the mustang world, everybody seems to skip them and go the TW/AFR 165 route. Hell the Holley heads are a copy of the AFR heads and they still get over looked. Straight bolt on my vote is for e-brock heads a few years ago they got revamped and flow just as good as AFRs and cheaper with quality still top notch.

they are not overlooked here in southeastern NC, they are all over the place I ran them on my 91GT and was rewarded with 7.70's in the 1/8th all day long

jimgt95

Reaction score
I'll post the same answer I posted last time this question was asked: AFR 165's are the way to go. I love them. I bought the pedestal mount, used 1.7 Cobra RR's, and was able to reuse my stock pushrods. I also got the spring upgrade due to the KB. These heads flow great: 376rwhp/385rwtq @7.5lbs of boost. That is major airflow.

One thing I have found out with doing car mods is if you save and pony up (pun intended) for the good stuff the first time, you will be saving not only time but money in the long run.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
I had AFR 165s when I still had my stock block. They rocked.

I now have TFS Hi-Ports that were custom ported by Stiegemeir . . . . but those are a lot more head than you could use.

Spyder

Reaction score
CAn you run 1.7 RR on the edelbrock 6037's? Will it clear the piston? Is it gonna improve the flow to make the cost worth it? Anyone know where you can get the same heads ported, for a decent price? Im looking to get the most out of my stock block and edelbrock heads before i have to go with a dart or r302. Im planning on adding a turbo no too far down the road.

Julian Moore

Reaction score
I run the edelbrock's with 1.7's, stock cam and a vortech SQ trim....making close to 500 rwhp...enough airflow for you? ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.