Heads, intake and the computer

BackinBlack

Reaction score
What kind of luck have you guys had with head and intake swaps? How forgiving is the computer? I know a cam is going to require some dyno time but I'm trying to aviod that right now.

95-stang

Reaction score
So far i've ditched the cats, removed the smog-pump and fitted a Ford Motorsport intake with 65mm throttle body and no problems.
So i would be interested too, as my next job will be heads. :)

OP
OP
B

BackinBlack

Reaction score
My mods include LT headers, o/r h-pipe, c/a intake, 70mm tb, adjustable fuel pressure regulator (set to 40 psi), 24lbs injectors, tuned and ported maf, underdrives, 180 thermostat, MSD 6A, coil, cap and rotor, and FRPP wires. It all works pretty well together except it runs a little rich on th low end. I just don't want to lose driveability or have the light come on.

Slow94

Reaction score
I just uilt a 331 for my 94 and it runs pretty good with no tune. I'm still getting one though. From what I have seen it's hard to say what someones car will do with mods. I have seen 2 cars with the same mods act way different, so it seems like the computers have a mind of there own,LOL

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Why on earth would you go to all the expense of a heads/intake swap and not get it tuned?

OP
OP
B

BackinBlack

Reaction score
Slow94 said:
I just uilt a 331 for my 94 and it runs pretty good with no tune. I'm still getting one though. From what I have seen it's hard to say what someones car will do with mods. I have seen 2 cars with the same mods act way different, so it seems like the computers have a mind of there own,LOL

What cam are you running?

OP
OP
B

BackinBlack

Reaction score
Mine probly isn't going to be happy without a tune. It acted up when I tried to bump the timing just 2 degrees. A cam would probly make it freak out.

Suspect

Reaction score
i think its a hit or miss. it seems some cars need it right away, some dont. ive read a few people ride for a year or 2 before getting tuned.

i have an ecam and tf intake and never had a problem. now i have heads ready to go in and also ill be swapping to a tf stage 1 cam. hopefully mine can last a few months until i get it tuned. if it acts up right away then ill get it done asap. well see. :)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just finished my head/cam install, went with AFR 165s and Steeda #19 cam, after playing with the timing and idle a little the thing is running great. Idles around 800 with no problems. I still want to get it tuned but it runs really good as is.

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
after a motor swap here, my car ran like ass. very slow, dumping fuel, everything wrong. had to get it tuned bad. after the tune and chip it ran much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online