Heads up to all who want to do timing on your car!

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by rcjustin, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rcjustin

rcjustin New Member

If you are planning on adjusting your timing make sure you check your harmonic balancer berfore u do anything. If it looks worn and has rubber sticking out replace it. I didnt check mine and wound up setting the base timing and with a timing light i "set it to 12 adv." but since my balancer was shot which i noticed a month and a half later with detonation and never being able to get it back where it was i replaced the balancer and seen my timing was at 28* advanced. Replaced balancer reset timing to 12* and now its perfect. Im lucky my motor didnt blow from all the detonation/ping. Be careful. Dont make the same mistake i did.

One more thing. If you buy the proffessional products balancer from 5.0 rest u will have to find or buy new bolts for the pulley. The stock ones are too short by a long shot.

2. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

agreed. Stock balancers are shit. Romacs are THE shit.

3. 1BadSnakeBite

1BadSnakeBite New Member

Did you buy it with the adaptor? What timing marks did you use? It looks like the ones on the front need to be used. I am asking because I am just now putting my motor back together and am using a Prof. Prod. SFI race balancer.

4. FIVELITERS

FIVELITERS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip man, i've never heard of this before and this is very valuable info! O0

5. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

thats the damn truth

6. Jasperstang308

Jasperstang308 Member

you can go more than 12 you know. when i had my car tuned when it was close to stock i had it set at 15 with 93 octane. when i modded it and did the 347 stroker to try and lean it out it was set at 19